General developer forum

Customizing the Language Dropdown Menu Selections

Picture of L Passaglia
Customizing the Language Dropdown Menu Selections

Hello,

Is there a way to customize the options displayed in the Language Dropdown Menu, i.e.: to remove the language identifiers as in "English (en)" to only display "English"?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
Picture of L Passaglia
Re: Customizing the Language Dropdown Menu Selections

So there are no ways to achieve the above? Or is it so simple that my request is downright ridiculous? Anyone? I'm running the Essential theme on Moodle 3.3.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Have you looked at the customise language featured? What does it say in the language string that is being called? 

Picture of L Passaglia

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the reply, but could you be a little more specific. Which customise language feature are you referring to and where can I find it?

Picture of L Passaglia

I'm I the only one who wants to remove the (en) and the likes from the Language Dropdown Menu selections? Is there any way to customize those menu selections?

Picture of Mike Churchward
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTesters

As far as I can see, that is hardcoded in Moodle core. See the 'get_list_of_translations' function in '/lib/classes/string_manager_standard.php'. The language code is always included in parentheses after the language name.

Picture of L Passaglia

Thank you for your reply Mike. I'll take a look!

Very much appreciated!!

Picture of Fernando Acedo
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Yes, you can but you must create a renderer to modify get_list_of_translations.

I developed one some years ago to display only the 2-digits code (EN, FR, DE, ES) but it is not easy due the wrong languages names used.

Other option that we use often when adding Spanish that moodle shows as Spanish International (I never seen English or German International) is to rename the strings in Custom Strings.

This is a pending task from moodle because is using a very old array that could be modified to add two items in the array: the description and the code.

Picture of L Passaglia

Very good information!

Thank you very much Fernando!!