Problem with using the html editor in Firefox 1.5

Problem with using the html editor in Firefox 1.5

von andrew jones -
Anzahl Antworten: 19
Is anyone having a problem with using the html editor in moodle in the finished and new release of Firefox 1.5, I upgraded today and now when I click on the icon in the html editor in moodle to go to fullscreen mode it opens a blank screen window rather than one with the editor.

I have reported this as a possible bug in Firefox to their feedback agent.

I am using a dell d610 laptop with winXP Pro and SP2

Andrew Jones
Als Antwort auf andrew jones

Re: Problem with using the html editor in Firefox 1.5

von Ray Lawrence -
Hmmm.... same here.

Have logged it in the Bug tracker just in case. Bug #4408
Als Antwort auf Ray Lawrence

von andrew jones -
Thanks,

I have been doing a little bit with Moodle for a while but have not familiarised my self with all of the feedback and developer features of the moodle org. Thanks for posting it for me.

Regards,

Andrew
Als Antwort auf Ray Lawrence

von N Hansen -
Hmm, maybe something to do with the improved popup blocker?

von Aaron Tyo-Dickerson -
Hi, Andrew:

I have expreienced the exact same thing since my Firefox 1.5 upgrade yesterday. I thought maybe it was by AdBlock extension and have disabled it to no avail. Will try disabling the popup blocker next to see what happens.

I suspect this may not fix it, however, as the popup itself seems to work just fine (the window opens and a view of the source code seems to show all of the necessary bits and bobs to get it working). Suspect that FF is the actual problem and hope that there will be a patch/fix for this soon!

Aaron TD

von James Duchamp -
I have the same problem with Firefox 1.5 on running on Mac OS 10.4.3.  It started when I upgraded to Firefox 1.5 about a week and half ago.  I'm running Moodle 1.5.2 (2005060220) It seems odd to me that the html editor/toolbar works in the unenlarged window, but gives an empty window when I click the "Enlarge Editor".
Als Antwort auf James Duchamp

von Barron Koralesky -

I see the same problem using Firefox 1.5 on WinXP and MacOSX.  On Windows a blank window pops up.  On MacOSX nothing happens when I hit the "enlarge editor" button.

Anyone have a fix yet?

von Janne Mikkonen -
The problem seem to be in cloneObject function ( fullscreen.php ). The parent object doesn't get fully cloned.

Current fix brakes IE so it's not usable wütend wütend wütend. I just love javascript #%&!!
Als Antwort auf Janne Mikkonen

von Steve Garcia -
There's an additional problem as well. In Firefox 1.5 a button 3 click (middle button) brings up a scroll cursor. Under Unix, button 3 normally acts as the "paste" button.

Cut and paste is vital to me, enhanced scrolling is no big deal. I don't know if this is a Firefox thing or a Moodle thing, but I suspect it must be from Moodle, since MB3 works fine in normal text windows in Firefox.

Between this and the cloneObject issue, I may have to drop back to Firefox 1.0.7.

von mike cockburn -

Janne, Hi - am i reading you correctly - we currently can't use HTML Editor with IE? 

I've got a query outlining a more extensive range of problems using the editor with IE (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=36100 ).

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

I'm a newbie to this moodle life!

Regards,

Mike

Als Antwort auf mike cockburn

von N Hansen -
I think what Janne is saying is that if he were to fix the problem preventing full-screen mode, it would mean the html editor would stop working completely in IE.

von Steve Garcia -
Is there a possibility that we could get a copy of the patch that fixes Firefox but breaks IE, at least as an interim solution?

I'm perfectly comfortable with IE being broken.

von Cristian Alvarado -
We would also not mind IE being broken.  We're only "officially" supporting mozilla flavor browsers anyway.  Is there a link to the patch?
Als Antwort auf Cristian Alvarado

von Steve Garcia -
Als Antwort auf Steve Garcia

von Joseph Rézeau -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers Nutzerbild von Translators
any hope of a patch for using the enlarged HTML editor in Mozilla 1.5 soon?
Joseph
Als Antwort auf Joseph Rézeau

von Steve Garcia -
I looked in Mozilla's bugzilla and found a bug report for this. It appears to be a problem in HTMLarea, but one of the comments in the bug report had a workaround.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=301869

In the file /lib/editor/htmlarea.php:

In HTMLArea.cloneObject = function(obj) 

This:
if (obj.constructor.toString().indexOf("function Function(") == 1) {
you should change into this:
if (obj.constructor.toString().indexOf("function Function(") >= 0) {
and
This:
if (obj.constructor.toString().indexOf("function Array(") == 1) {
you should change into this:
if (obj.constructor.toString().indexOf("function Array(") >= 0) {

Make the same changes in lib/editor/popups/fullscreen.php. I've tested it with one of the lab computers that has Firefox 1.5, and everything superficially seems to work. I still have to re-upgrade my own machine back to FF 1.5 and live with it a while before I'm sure.

Als Antwort auf Steve Garcia

von Colin McQueen -
Works for Firefox 1.5.0.2 here but then is broken in IE 6.

How come it works on  both FF and IE on moodle.org?