Suggest a free up-to-date HTML editor to be used to create moodle pages/courses

Re: Suggest a free up-to-date HTML editor to be used to create moodle pages/courses

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 0

I love Arachnophilia and have used it for years. To me, the problem with WYSIWYG is it generates  bulky code while a text editor means remembering tags and laboriously typing them in.

Arachnophilia solves this by being a text editor which gives a code view with additional features in a  range of menus which include most of the HTML I use. First it creates a bare bones html file and you enter text before selecting a formatting option. Some are simple - selected test is enclosed in visible tags for Bold, Headings and so on.  Ordered or unordered lists can be created on a selected column of text  while the Table Wizard gives half a dozen options before outputting formatted code tags for a table which only requires replacing R1C1, R1C2, R2C1 with your table entries.  Naturally search and replace, copy and paste and other functions are available. Check the look in your browser, select everything between the body tags and paste in the html edit area of the web page.  To me, this internal html editor is only useful for minor tweaks and I prefer writing html tags to WYSIWYG.  Old school.

Maybe my html requirements are low but some headings, lists, tables and links covers most of the basics for me. I have not used Dreamweaver as I like to use free ( ahem, cheap)  software. Does Sublime require you to manually enter tags?