Moodle newbie

Moodle newbie

by Andrea Edwards -
Number of replies: 7

My first time hearing about Moodle was this morning after my boss instructed me to use its components for instructional purposes. I have downloaded the software to my desktop; however, I am not sure how to use it or proceed after reading numerous dashboards. Can anyone help me out with the next step?

Side note: I am not an IT person, but I do possess basic knowledge of computer technology. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrea Edwards

Re: Moodle newbie

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello  Andrea and welcome to the Moodle community.

First - you need to clarify how your boss expects you to "use Moodle for instructional purposes". Is she/he expecting you to follow an existing course on an organisational site using the Moodle software? If so then I'd check with your boss what that site is.

Is your boss expecting you to use Moodle software to create learning materials for people in your organisation? If that is the case, then the first thing I suggest would be to join our free online course on Teaching with Moodle which starts next week. You won't learn any of the technical side of it but you'll be confident in using "its components for instructional purposes" Once you've mastered that, we can advise you on the best way to proceed with getting a Moodle site set up for your organisation and your boss.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

Welcome, Andrea!

I agree with Mary. Take the course. But, if you can get your localhost version running, also try making a specific activity, probably a simple quiz.

And ask lots of questions!

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Good news and bad news.

Yes, moodle (which is open source) can run on a desktop. Typically, this is fine for learning.

However, you will eventually need a server.  Are you ready to learn how to run a server?

Give us more information?  How big do you expect your classes (or Moodle) to be?

One easy and fast way to get an understanding of Moodle is to get a free moodle course on MoodleCloud.  This will give you a feel for what you need to learn and what is it like to run a course using moodle.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Andrea Edwards -

After experimenting with the site, I create a free Moodle site as a tester. So far, what I can't do or don't understand is how to add students/ people to my site and whether I can add Microsoft powerpoints or PDFs. Do they have to register themselves individually to Moodle? Can I add everyone as the administrator? Can Microsoft documents be uploaded on the Moodle site? How can I upload my own documents?

Side note:  I am using this site as a way to train employees through a remote setting by presenting the material and then testing/ quizzing them on it thereafter.

by Andrea Edwards -

Also, my site is saying I've reached my file quota; however, I have not successfully uploaded anything due to "format issues". Anyone have an idea?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Let me make sure that I understand.

Are you saying that you created an account on moodlecloud and that it is this one that is giving you problems?  If so, you might need to contact moodlecloud and ask why.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok in response to your question about uploading users - please read through the documentation Admin quick guide and particularly the sections on Authentication and Enrolment

In response to your other question in your other post about not being able to upload anything because of file format issues, I suspect you are trying to upload files into the course summary instead of in the course itself. But  just to clarify - please can you either post a screenshot of where you are uploading files or give a step by step description? Please also look at Teacher quick guide and think again about joining our free course Learn Moodle