Moodle 3 as a LTI provider for edX (a consumer that only supports LTI 1)

Re: Moodle 3 as a LTI provider for edX (a consumer that only supports LTI 1)

by Beni Zaks -
Number of replies: 2

Yes

In reply to Beni Zaks

by Tansu PANCAR -

Hello all,

I have a similar problem. When I try to use Moodle as LTI Provider and Open EdX as LTI consumer, the cartridge url can not be understood by Open Edx.

Moodle provides 3 parameters and LTI ID for LTI connection:

Cartridge URL  (which is an XML file since OpenEdx does not read the XML, I used the launch url shown in LTI from  XML file)
Client Secret
Registration URL

In Open Edx, LTI connection has 2 steps  first as shown in screenshot, you need to write LTI Passports (id:client_key:client_secret), and after saving the changes in this page.

In the content creation page, you add LTI content as an external resource, and write LTI ID (same as written in LTI Passports section) and LTI URL.
We have 4 different parameters which are used in these 2 steps:
LTI ID
client_key
client_secret
LTI URL

LTI ID and Client Secret are clear, for LTI URL I am using the launch URL obtained from cartridge URL, for client_key what should be written? When I write "test" in the client_key part, I receive the same error 

"Failed request. Reason: Sorry, there was an error connecting you to the application."

Attachment LTI Configuration 1.JPG
Attachment LTI Configuration 2.JPG
In reply to Tansu PANCAR

by David Ligne -

Hello everyone,

We have exactly the same problem here : Moodle as LTI Provider and Open EdX as LTI consumer, not working.

A (temporary) solution is to use the old LTI provider plugin : https://moodle.org/plugins/local_ltiprovider.

It still works with Moodle 3.5.