Exporting users does not include all profile fields

Exporting users does not include all profile fields

by Frank Black -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle v32

I am trying to export users from quite an old version of Moodle, tidy up the user list, and then reimport to newly installed v32. However, the exported CSV file does not include the fields I need, such as whether a user has ldap or manual auth, or whether they are currently in 'suspended' status. It also doesn't include profile fields such as email display, forum tracking & auto-subscribe settings, and 'description'.

I tested the export from v32 and it was exactly the same - most of the profile information is missing. So am I right in saying that the user export/import is not the right tool for this job?

I have seen a couple of suggestions on the forum from years ago to add all users to a dummy course (as students? as teachers?) in the old Moodle install, export the course, then import it into v32, and this should populate users in the database, and take a lot more of the user profile and user data with it than when using the user export function.

Can anyone confirm that this workaround works?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Black

Re: Exporting users does not include all profile fields

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes - that works and will (should, anyway) include the full user record.