Wrong Essential Theme Installed via Plugins DB

Wrong Essential Theme Installed via Plugins DB

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This has happened to me twice now. First with the Fordson Theme 3.3 theme and just now with the new Essential 3.3 theme.

I checked that my site had the correct version of Moodle and then set the installer to work its magic. Only to discover it installed the 3.2 version and NOT the 3.3 that I had clicked on.

Is there a problem with the plugins installer? Or is it that the Description page is only displaying the 3.2 version, so the installer thinks that is the newest version?

I only ask that as when I went to install the newer 3.3 version, it would not let me as it said I already had that installed! And yet the Plugins Overview displayed the 3,2 version!!!

Hopefully someone must have experienced this before?

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Wrong Essential Theme Installed via Plugins DB

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary,

Could this be a 'beta' / 'stable' version issue / bug?  As Essential for M3.3 (currently version 3.3.0.2) is 'MATURITY_BETA', so is there a setting to only install stable versions?

G

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

No...not that I know of, but what may have been the cause is that the site URL, which I was wanting to install your 3.3 Beta version of Essential to, was still set as 3.2. in my list of Moodle sites.  So it looks like this is probably those URL settings that determines which version is installed, regardless of the theme version you are clicking on.

When I changed that setting to reflect the true version that my site is currently using, which is uptodate MOODLE_33_STABLE.
I was then able to install the 3.3 Beta version of Essential after I deleted the 3.2 version of Essential which was added originally.

Confusing I know...at least I am guessing that was the cause.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

I think it's exactly that, and it's not totally illogical.

Sure, it would be better if this system was more powerful. For example, it could tell the user (administrator) that the site he comes from is now of a different version than what was registered, and propose to automatically update registered site information, and allow the correct installation wink

Don't hesitate to create a tracker issue for that if you want (your english if better than mine). For sure i would vote for it!

Cheers,
Séverin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Mary Evans -

Hi Séverin,

Yes I think you are right. There should be a mechanism that checks the version registered with the version required first.

I'll open a tracker for it.

Many thanks

Mary