Site level notes - cannot create

Site level notes - cannot create

by Jason Hollowell -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dear all,

I'm experimenting with the "Notes" feature accessible from, and displayed on, the user profile page. I'd like to be able to add site level notes from user profiles but, for some reason, am unable to do so. I am logging in as admin and thus assumed the capability should exist but it does not. 

Is it possible to add notes at the site level to a student account?

I am using Moodle 3.2.2+ and do have Notes turned on.

Thank you in advance for any insights provided. 

Regards

Jason

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: Site level notes - cannot create

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I just tried on demo.moodle.net as admin. I went via the list of users -clicked on a user (Sam Student) and then from his profile, clicked Notes. I was then able to select whether it was a Site, personal or course note. I also went in to a course and when I clicked on a user enrolled in the course and then Notes, I was able to select the type of note I wanted to make.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jason Hollowell -

Mary,

Thanks...but I must have a problem. I went to 

Site Admin -> Users -> Accounts -> Browse a list of users and picked a student account.

Viewing that student's profile I see "Notes" (see my screen shot)

But when I click on "Notes" I get the following:

I can add a note to the course "MCV Registration System" but cannot add a note to the Site level....

I'm logged in as admin...

These students have their accounts created via an LDAP server...is there a sitewide (front page) default role required...that wouldn't make any sense...sorry I'm thinking as I type here...

Baffled...

Jason

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Jason Hollowell -

Ok, I am a bonehead surprise

I just realized that if I click on "Add a new note" I am subsequently able to define the context (course, site, personal). I was, erroneously, expecting to see "Add a new note" below the "Site notes" heading... 

Sorry for my ignorant inquiry...my excuse is that I'm overworked. smile

Jason