Transferring ownership (especially the phone number)

Transferring ownership (especially the phone number)

د Kathleen Zarubin لخوا -
د ځوابونو شمیر: 8

Hi I set up a free moodle cloud for a colleague.  to set it up i used my phone number -  I now have another colleague that wants me to set up another moodle Cloud (free) site for them ....

I understand that each person can only have 1 free account and I understand why 

My question is ....   

Can I 'go into' the first free site I set up for person A -   Change the details - especially the phone number to their mobile phone number ...  

and then will I be able to set up another free site - using my number for the purposes of verification ...  (having removed my mobile phone number from he first free site i set up) ...    

thanks 

Kathleen 

د درجې بندۍ اوسط:  -
In reply to Kathleen Zarubin

Re: Transferring ownership (especially the phone number)

د Craig R Morton لخوا -
د Core developers انځور د Moodle HQ انځور د MoodleCloud team انځور

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for getting in touch. I work on the MoodleCloud team and can help you out here.

Although you would be able to setup a MoodleCloud site on behalf of a colleague we would recommend you use their mobile/cell phone number for verification purposes. We don't spam SMS out so they would only receive one SMS for us to verify them.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks.

In reply to Craig R Morton

Hi Craig,   thanks for the reply ... but not really ...   

I know and understand it is 'best' to use their own mobile number BUT the thing is ....   they are not beside me and more the point - I want to set up a skeleton of a moodle site for them so they can see how fantastic it is ....   the problem I keep running into is that any free moodle site needs its own 'mobile number - so here i am =  trying to set up a free site for them 'eventually - BUT i keep hitting this wall - whereby i can not register a free a site and set up the skeleton of it - without the first step of a verification code - based on a mobile number and my mobile number can only have one free site associated with it - even though it is being set up for another person .....  

Frankly I KNOW - once they see it - they will LOVE IT and then in most cases go on to have a paid site eventually -----    while I understand the thinking behind the process - it is to be honest a bit annoying ...  lol 

cheers and thanks 

Kath 

د Craig R Morton لخوا -
د Core developers انځور د Moodle HQ انځور د MoodleCloud team انځور

Hi Kathleen,

What I would recommend doing here is inputting your colleague's mobile/cell phone numbers during signup and asking them to SMS or email you through the verification code for you to enter on their behalf.

Many thanks.

د Chris Reid لخوا -

Hi Kathleen

I can see how this might be a little annoying for your situation.  We rely on the mobile number to identify our users and ensure the one free site per user policy so we are unable to offer the ability to change it.  

So hopefully Craig's suggestion will be useful to you.

Alternatively, there is the option to upgrade your current site to a starter site which then allows you to have a new free site, whilst also supporting MoodleCloud.  We appreciate your understanding on this and hope you continue to introduce your colleagues to the world of MoodleCloud موسکا

Chris

In reply to Chris Reid

Hi Chris & Craig ...  Thank you both for your replies and the information. 

Well, I have made a bit of mess of this and I should have 'understood' the system better.  I am sorry. 

In future I WILL do as Craig suggested re "inputting your colleague's mobile/cell phone numbers during signup and asking them to SMS or email you through the verification code for you to enter on their behalf."  

I can also understand the idea that  "upgrade your current (FREE) site to a starter site which then allows you to have a new free site, whilst also supporting MoodleCloud"  (and I certainly will ...continue to introduce your colleagues to the world of MoodleCloud smile

OK, BUT this the current situation - HERE is my current 'problem'  that I need to find a solution for ...  

END Result I am trying to achieve is handing over the moodle portal and associated free moodlecloud site that I set up for the colleague.  (I acknowledge I did this wrong and will not do it this way again) 

To set this up I used a) A Gmail email account I set up for them (which can be 'handed over') and b) My mobile phone number. 

IF I upgraded this free moodle cloud account to a starter account then the account is still 'attached to' my portal account (via the mobile number) ....  Is this correct? 

I 'guess' I could do the following ......  ????   

1. Export the whole Moodle Site (Login to your MoodleCloud Portal, and in the Tools tab, there is an export button.) 

2. REMOVE the moodle cloud site (as this is the only site associated with the portal that is attached to the mobile number I assume then the portal will be deleted aswell) 

3. Set up a NEW Moodle Cloud Account - Doing it as Craig suggested  re "inputting your colleague's mobile/cell phone numbers during signup and asking them to SMS or email you through the verification code for you to enter on their behalf."  - 

AND I assume that given the previous one was removed / deleted - the gmail account will be able to be used (again) to set this up - AND I will be able to use the same name?  

4. THEN - import the whole site (I have developed on their behalf)  to this new 'account' - which will then be attached to their mobile phone number ....   

JUST a question on this last part ...  

The mobile number will belong to a person.  What happens in the future, if that person is no longer employed by the company?   They will be unable to ever 'set up' their own moodle cloud account as their mobile phone number is forever 'attached' to the company's account?  

I KNOW I could do as Chris suggested and 'upgrade' this currently free account to a starter account - BUT again, the account is still attached to my mobile number and would appear 'on' my portal account rather than as a stand-alone separate account. ....   

So ....   again, I know I have made a mess of this.  (Big Learning Curve and I will never set up an account on behalf of anyone else -using my mobile number - BUT there remains a possible FUTURE issue for the person / employee that does have their mobile number 'attached' to the business account??   )  ..... 

so THANK YOU for your suggestions to try and solve this problem I have created for myself .....   

Warm Regards 

Kathleen 

د Chris Reid لخوا -

Hi Kathleen

Thanks for explaining the situation further and highlighting the difficulties in transferring a site.

Free sites do require the phone number to be verified so its not possible to change the mobile number on an Free site account. Paid plan sites can be validated via email so the phone number becomes less important to the verification process and ongoing account ownership.  

Currently we do not offer the ability to change your phone number, which I can see causes a problem for you when trying to transfer ownership once upgraded or you move on from an organisation. The MoodleCloud team are investigating the best way to handle this scenario.

In the meantime I've opened a support ticket for you so so we can go through specific details of your account and sites to get this all sorted out.

Thanks

Chris

In reply to Chris Reid

Hi Chris ...  once again THANK YOU!  Your reply is above is fantastic and thanks for opening the support ticket that i received via email.  ( I will get on to this asap) 

FIRST - it is GREAT to know that ....

"Paid plan sites can be validated via email so the phone number becomes less important to the verification process and ongoing account ownership. "   

That gives me something to think about and maybe work with in the future - especially  when combined with Criag's idea of  "inputting your colleague's mobile/cell phone numbers during signup ... etc etc ... "  

So going forward I will not get 'me' / us into this mess ever again LOL ...   

Also I note your comment ...  

"Currently we do not offer the ability to change your phone number, which I can see causes a problem for you when trying to transfer ownership once upgraded or you move on from an organisation. The MoodleCloud team are investigating the best way to handle this scenario."   (my bold and italics) 

Given the free Moodle cloud service is relatively new (and it is FANTASTIC!) - I can see how this type of situation may not have arisen to date but could become more of an issue over time and at a later date, for others  موسکا  

I really appreciate your openness and willingness to understand this situation and help me 'sort it out' :D 

By the end of next week I WILL be upgrading their currently  free site to a paid site.  (& I am just going to pay this myself for 1 year)  -   Once this is done I will then follow up with the support ticket ....  I just need to talk to them and let them know what is going on ....   to be frank, they were a bit 'hesitant' in the beginning - and this has all been a learning curve for me too (BUT a really good one! and one that will enable me to more fully understand the intricacies of the ownership / setting up process and make sure i take all of this into account  and explain it much better to any future colleagues :D) 

Anyway, from this point on I will progress this issue, for them, via the support ticket system.  

I just wanted to publicly respond in here and thank you again for all of your support and assistance.  and who knows, maybe this convo may end up being of value to another ..  

Warm Regards Kathleen 

In reply to Chris Reid

A huge shout out to Chris for his help in sorting this issue for me.  I really appreciate it and will NOT get myself into this type of a mess again lol 

Cheers Kathleen