Why I ask for theme and Moodle version details.

Why I ask for theme and Moodle version details.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I feel that I need to write this post about why I / we (as per forum information) ask for the theme and Moodle version details.  The times (picking on nobody) that I see the words 'latest version' and then have to ask 'what version' is really starting to annoy me and quite frankly waste time, I'm fed up to the back teeth about it - rant over.

I'm not asking for these details for no reason!  I am asking for these details so that:

• I can confirm that when attempting to replicate the issue we are both using the same version.  Thus no possibility of a change causing an issue or that the issue has already been fixed.
  • I can then get back to you faster with an answer because I've not had to ask for the version details.  Therefore you loose if you don't provide them!
  • When people search for issues and find a post that is the same problem as they are having, then they can discover if they are using an older version and therefore it might have been fixed in a later version.  Not knowing the version that the problem therefore wastes their time and that of anybody replying.

Therefore 'latest version' is meaningless as it only means something at the exact time of posting and even then not 100% as I may have already fixed the issue in a later development version that you don't know about because its not even on the web yet.  Its not like Moodle is unique about this.  Try going into a garage and asking about replacing your tyres because they are worn, you don't say 'I've got the latest version', you tell them the rim size etc.  Try calling support for your mobile (clearly on another communications device) and stating 'I've got the latest version', what's the first question they ask?

So, please, please!!! Post the details I (we) ask for.  If you don't know them then use the information we've provided to help you find them - which is: at the top when you post, in sticky posts at the top of the forum and in then forum header area at the top of the forum.

Help us help you!

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (7)