Using Google Drive to save file space on Moodlecloud

Using Google Drive to save file space on Moodlecloud

โดย Colin Simpson -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all, I've been tinkering with Google Drive as a repository on my Moodlecloud site and it's all set up and working as far as I can see. 

I can add files from Google Drive to Moodlecloud directly using the filepicker. 

What I would like to be able to do is to add them without the files being added to the file storage limit. 

I appreciate that I could just create a shareable link on Google Drive and copy/paste that into the Moodlecloud site but this seems to defeat the advantage of using GDrive as a repository. 

Is there something simple that I've missed - I thought it might be in the Internal/External/Internal and External options in the Repository settings but this seems to make no difference. 

cheers

Colin

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย: -
In reply to Colin Simpson

Re: Using Google Drive to save file space on Moodlecloud

โดย Mathieu Petit-Clair -
รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของMoodle HQ รูปภาพของMoodleCloud team รูปภาพของPlugin developers รูปภาพของTesters

Hi Colin, 

Using the repository system should indeed use the file directly from google drive and not count in your quota, provided the setup is done to use all "external" options, as you pointed out.

Moodle does however save the file locally as draft, which gets removed later (4 days in the current Moodle version, iirc), which could explain the quota change you see.

Mathieu

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย:Useful (2)
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

โดย Colin Simpson -

Thanks Mathieu, I tried these things and left it a week but the files are still being counted in our Moodlecloud storage. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของMoodle HQ รูปภาพของMoodleCloud team รูปภาพของPlugin developers รูปภาพของTesters

Hi Colin, 

I've been away for a while - I'm sorry to see this didn't work as expected.

Can you confirm that (under "/admin/tool/oauth2/issuers.php") there is a "System account connected" for the google drive entry?

โดย Louis Raubenheimer -

Hi Matthieu,

Could you point me to the documentation for creating a Google Drive entry (as you state above). I'm a few steps behind you I think but want to achieve the same thing Colin is doing.

Your help is really appreciated.

Louis

In reply to Louis Raubenheimer

Hi Louis,

The documentation is at https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Google_Drive_repository and the first step is to do the OAuth2 setup in your Google account, as explained on https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/OAuth_2_Google_service

I suggest your read both pages completely before you get started. 

Make sure to connect a "System account" (on the OAuth2 services page in Moodle). As explained on the "Google Drive repository" page (linked above), you should use a dedicated account for this purpose (this is the account that will keep a copy of your files on google drive).

Depending if you are using an enterprise (vs personal) Google account, the screenshots might be different from what you get on the site, but the process is the same.

Once this is all done, you may want to enable the Google auth, by following the documentation on https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/OAuth_2_authentication

Mathieu

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย:Useful (1)

โดย Louis Raubenheimer -

Dear Mathieu,

Thanks you soooo much for your reply. I'll read it all and let you know how it went (I knew I shouldn't "cowboy" the process). I'm particularly interested in working around the 200Mb data storage limit of MoodleCloud.

Louis

โดย Louis Raubenheimer -

Colin,

I've been trying this as well (and/or with Microsoft OneDrive) and I haven't found a way around it either. At the moment I have to put the link to the files inside the assignment/lesson which sort of defeats the purpose.

Please let me know if you've made any progress.

Thanks,

Louis