Blank page after updating to 3.3

Blank page after updating to 3.3

by fred hunter -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

Novice boy here again, sorry for posting this is a new thread, I couldn't find an answer to this elsewhere on the site.

I have successfully upgraded my 'staging/test' moodle to version 3.3 from 3.2 and it worked first time, however my live site isn't fairing so well.

Both of the servers are identical, Windows Server 2012 R2, PHP 7, IIS 8. In both instances, I ran the environment checks and crossed off anything that needed checking, backed up my existing moodle files and updated all of my plugins. I put the site in maintenance mode, then I extracted the 3.3 version files to the moodle install directory, then copied in my folders for any additional plugins as well as copying over my config.php file. Where my test site was concerned, I navigated back to the home page and was presented with the web installer for the site upgrade, fine. When I did the same on my live site, I immediately get a blank white page, with no error messages.

Comparing the working test upgrade and the non working live version, I cannot see any differences in the moodle source code that was used, the permission settings or the process I used to carry out the ugrade. The config.php files are formatted identically as well.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've rolled back to 3.2 in the meantime.

Fred

Average of ratings: -
In reply to fred hunter

Re: Blank page after updating to 3.3

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A blank white normally indicates one of two issues:

1.  PHP version incompatibility.  Are you sure that moodle is using the 7.0 php version and not using an older version?

2.  Corrupted cache.  Delete the cache and localcache folders from your moodleDATA folder (they will be recreated).

In reply to Emma Richardson

by fred hunter -

Hi Emma,

I’ve deleted the cache folders you recommended but still no change. I’ve checked the host server again and there is definitely only version 7 of PHP installed. There is also only one handler mapping in the IIS settings for the PHP-cgi.exe file. The site definitely works as expected in version 3.2 so I’m not sure what else to check. Should I remove and re-install PHP7?

In reply to fred hunter

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

No, not yet.  Let's try this first.

Check your apache/php logs for errors.  Check permissions on your moodle and moodledata folders.  

Turn on debugging in config.php and see if that shows you anything...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by fred hunter -

Hi Emma,

So I've checked the PHP error logs and located this:

[01-Jun-2017 16:08:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext\php_mysqli.dll' - The specified module could not be found.
 in Unknown on line 0
[01-Jun-2017 16:08:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Invalid library (appears to be a Zend Extension, try loading using zend_extension=php_opcache.dll from php.ini) in Unknown on line 0

I'm not using MySQL, I'm using MSSQL for this site, so any messages pertaining to MySQL shouldn't matter. Also, where it says 'mysqli.dll' I tried renaming to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't.

Opcache is definitely enabled on this server. I've compared it to my working server and the PHP.ini settings look identical.

Still, these are the only error messages coming up.

I've since tried removing the mysql.dll from the extension list as there isn't a corresponding .dll in the ext folder. This hasn't helped and the logs are still complaining about opcache.

In reply to fred hunter

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Fred, try using PHPManager rather than manually setting up PHP, it leaves some faults in the end at user's end. fast.cgi not enabled or anything specific to IIS setting for PHP.

also, you mentioned using MS-SQL, which one is it? express edition or full (standard, web, enterprise) ?

also, are you sure you have installed PHP 7.0.X and not 7.1? as though Moodle 3.3 (only) works woth PHP 7.1, but yet no drivers are available for PHP 7.1 for MS-SQL, but only for 7.0.x.

lastly, I cannot understand why are you still using x86 version of PHP whilst full 64-bt is supported natively since PHP 7 for windows platform.

In reply to Usman Asar

by fred hunter -

Hi Usman,

It is MSSQL enterprise. The SQL database is on a cluster on my corporate network.

The PHP version is definitely 7.0.x As I've stated more than once before, I have a tested server with an identical set up and the upgrade to moodle 3.3 worked. The test  and live servers both use PHP 7 x86. Don't ask my why I chose x86 over 64, but like I said, my test site works fine with that setup.

I've combed through the settings between the server to compare for differences and I can't see any. My settings on the live server, which I am having difficulty with, work perfectly with Moodle 3.2.

I am aware of the differences between PHP 7 and 7.1 and as a matter of fact, there are new SQL drivers out for PHP 7.1. If using IIS you can get them through the web platform installer.

Can you see my frustration?

In reply to fred hunter

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That indeed is frustrating, like Emma mentioned deleting "cache" and "localcache" folders and you did that already, just recycle Application pool after that as well and see if it makes any difference.

As blank screens are due to corrupted cache's that resides in cache and localcache folders, I cant think of anything other than that, as in any other case, PHP mis-configuration brings 500 errors, and database drivers faulty shows directly on screen where issues are.

If, as per your previous post issue is with opcache, then try turning it off for test purposes and see if that works.

In reply to Usman Asar

by fred hunter -

Hi Both,

I got to the bottom of it in the end. I think something was corrupt in the code files for my adaptable theme. I ran the upgrade again, but didn't add the plugin back in until after the upgrade was complete. Even then I used a copy of the code from my test server to be safe. It's all working now and looking the way I need it to.

Thanks for your help!