Big Blue Button on MoodleCloud

Big Blue Button on MoodleCloud

by Does This Display -
Number of replies: 9

First I will respond to your reminder to "Remember to include in your post which version of Moodle (e.g. 3.2.1) you are using!"

I think I am using Moodle 3.3.  Until recently I think it was 3.2 and was supposed to automatically upgrade tomorrow, June 1.  But I am pretty sure I saw a note on this computer (maybe the library's) that it had already been upgraded.

Now I would like to ask about Big Blue Button.

From the get go, I am pretty sure that I was told that I could use Big Blue Button with Moodle's Free MoodleCloud.  Since I have heard some pretty unclear implications that might not be true.  I have heard some discussion that BBB is only available if this or that, but all that discussion seemed to be referring to some special cases and not the average.  But even before I heard these unclear seemingly small arguments, I felt it had been clearly stated that BBB was integrated with moodlecloud and was available with the free service (for try out) and could handle six (6) participants at a time.  With that info., I bought over 100 megabytes internet speed.  I expected to be able to use BBB with moodlecloud to tutor six students at a time.  If all went well, I planned to pay for an upgrade to moodlecloud - probably taking a bit at a time and buying the $80/year plan.

So anyway, today I tried to set up the plug-in for BBB.  It didn't seem like much to do, but if there was something I missed I think it would have been hard to know what I missed - maybe a setting in the glossary for all I know.  Q:?).

Then I went to one of my courses, set the edit with the gear menu, and tried to add a Big Blue Button session through "Add an Activity or Resource."  This also seemed pretty easy, but again, if I missed something, I think it would be pretty hard to know what it is I missed.  After submitting with "Save and display," I got an error message.  I followed some link to learn more detail, but it was unhelpful to me.  I have tried over and over.

I hope someone can help me set up BBB?  As I stated above, I felt so confident that I would be able to get it with moodlecloud that I bought more internet speed.

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Thursday, 1 June 2017, 6:13 AM)

La media da valetaziuns: -
In reply to Does This Display

Re: Big Blue Button

by Mary Cooch -
Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Moodle HQ Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Testers Maletg da 	Translators

Hello Donald. You definitely should be able to add a Big Blue Button instance to your free MoodleCloud site. Let's double check what you tried

1. Go to your course
  2. Turn on the editing from the gear menu top right
  3. Click "Add an activity or resource"
  4. CLick to add Big Blue Button
  5. When it appears, give it a name and a description. Other settings you can think about later.
  6. Click Save and display

What I got when I tried was that I got a message saying the conference room is ready but I then got a message saying I had to enable Adobe Flash player (my browser is Google Chrome) Do you use Internet Explorer? It should work. Can you explain your steps again. If you know how to take screenshots of the error message then that would be helpful too.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Does This Display -
Though my site did not tell me to, I downloaded/installed Adobe Flash Player.  Then I tried to add BBB as an activity.  I still got the same message (see screen shots below).  Thanks for any help, advice, etc. that will lead me in the right direction.

Re: BBB: oops. Did that screen shot come through. Trying Again.

by Does This Display -

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Thursday, 1 June 2017, 8:12 PM)

Attachment screenshotforDonald.png

BBB on MoodleCloud -Error wriring to database.

by Mary Cooch -
Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Moodle HQ Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Testers Maletg da 	Translators

Donald - your site is a MoodleCLoud site and so I am going to move this discussion to the MoodleCloud forum so the MoodleCloud guys can have a look at it. (I'm also changing the title to clarify it) You don't need to do anything - just wait and see.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: BBB on MoodleCloud -Error wriring to database.

by Jordan Tomkinson -

We will be looking into this today. I will update when we have more information

In reply to Jordan Tomkinson

Re: BBB on MoodleCloud -Error wriring to database.

by Does This Display -

Thanks, but I want to let you know that I would not be surprised if it is my cheap laptop.  I probably need to upgrade to a hefty desktop before I continue.  It would be nice to continue with a laptop and be able to tutor my students from other locations - like my sister's house where we often visit or even from a motel.

Any advice on the type of computer I should have?

Thanks.

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Moodle HQ Maletg da 	MoodleCloud team Maletg da 	Plugin developers Maletg da 	Testers

Hi, after looking into this, we've identified an issue with the "Send notification" feature of the BigBlueButton plugin, which currently breaks modifications to the activity.

This will be fixed soon, but in the meantime the "Send notification" checkbox (that shows when creating/updating a BBB activity) should not be used.

La media da valetaziuns: Useful (1)
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Does This Display -

Thank you Mathiew.  I did retry without the send notification and it seems to work now.  Now I just need to practice with it to see if everything works.  I tried communicating through my little ASUS Memopad 7 lite, but it could not handle the Adobe Flash Player.  I will try with a friend that has a Macbook Pro laptop and another that has a PC.

Thank you, but I do suspect other issues such as I, myself probably need to upgrade.  I have been doing everything with an hp 2000 core i3 laptop.  I like using a laptop, but maybe I need a desktop.  A laptop would be nice because I will be visiting my sister in another state and hope I can tutor with moodlecloud from her house as well as motels along the way.

What do you think I need to upgrade to - what computer?  I do have high speed internet - well pretty high - I think they said more than 100 megabytes/second.

Again, thanks.

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Moodle HQ Maletg da 	MoodleCloud team Maletg da 	Plugin developers Maletg da 	Testers

Hi, 

The requirements for BigBlueButton are not that high and it should work on most laptops (memory could be an issue on older models) and on any "high speed" internet connection.

Getting flash to work on a tablet is a different issue completely. Although it appears to be possible to install it on a MeMo tablet, it may not be straightforward (or recent versions may fail - I haven't tried it, I don't have a MeMo).

Good luck!