Error install to 3.3

Error install to 3.3

by Peter Lydon -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I have shared hosting with GoDaddy.

There was an error about 2 months ago when an update failed and my site displayed a message saying there were conflicting installations! News to me I can tell you!

Anyhoo.....I came back to it yesterday to find another error message and between the jigs and the reels, I decided that I could repost my course and decided to delete the application and reinstall it. I thought I could reinstall a backup I had created.

When I reinstalled Moodle I gots a message saying 'PHP server variable file uploads is not turned on'.

Neither was I about all this I can tell you.

I contacted GoDaddy who initially tried to tell me it was turned on. I had no reason to doubt them except Moddle. Hmmmmm....Then they said that I would need a VPS because PHP v7 was needed (which was fun because while I was waiting on tech support to come back and tell me to access the Moodle community) I looks up Moodle 3 and PHP and Moodle says v3 doesn't support PHP 7.

But the nice woman said there may be a way to avoid resetting me site but this involved looking up help on php.ini (using Bing which surprised me also as I thought Google was the default) which, as you know, is not installed often on shared servers. Tut tut. Sure didn't uploads work on my previous installation and why's it such a thing now.

So thens I decided to reset my cpanel and start from the beginning. And sure enough, there is *the* message "The Zip PHP extension is now required by Moodle, info-ZIP binaries or PclZip library are not used anymore."

But as the server doesn't show/allow access to php.ini I am somewhat put out.

I believe there are magic tricks what can be performed using .htaccess but it all seems so dark side to me.

My next port of call is to reinstall an old version of Moodle and see how that goes just for the fun of it.

I cannot promise my first born, but any advice would be welcomed.

Peter

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 08.37.22.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Lydon

Re: Error install to 3.3

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have an experimental GoDaddy hosted server, and just yesterday (due to your post) I upgraded to the latest version 3.3.  All went well, except for the known database version warnings.

You said that you reset your server and now get a "zip" error.  Yes, zip needs to be enabled, and you can do this yourself on your hosted server. 

In cPanel, pick "Select PHP version."  Then make sure to pick version 5.6, and to set your other options as I show below.  (Notice, zip is one that you can enable.)

If I go to Site Admin, Server, Environment, I get all "OKs" except for these database messages.  I might try to fix the last one (unicode), I don't have a security certificate, so I ignore the second message, the first I cannot do anything about, but moodle (at this point in time) should continue working.

Yes, eventually you might need a VPS.  A lot depends upon how big your moodle is.

Attachment Check Conditions.jpg
Attachment GoDaddy Settings.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Peter Lydon -

Rick,

You are my new favourite person!

Thank you so much.

My site was/is small (I think) - about 180mb overall including the App by all accounts.

Thanks again,

Peter

In reply to Peter Lydon

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Glad that I could help.

Keep us posted about any other problems that you run into on your hosted server.

In reply to Peter Lydon

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

1.  I am not sure what you are reading but Moodle 3.+ works with PHP 7.

2.  Most hosted sites either have a php.ini file or a .htaccess file.  You should be able to change stuff there if the extensions are available.  You need to go back to your host there.

3.  The error message also states a problem with the database - you might check that you have the path and user credentials right in your config.php file.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Peter Lydon -

Emma,

Thanks - I'm trying to find the original link - I thought it odd at the time.

My host denied all knowledge.

Rick's suggestion worked perfectly and now all is well(-ish) in the world once more.

I just need to reconstruct my course.

Peter