Objection to FAQ, and retrieving quizzes not submitted

Objection to FAQ, and retrieving quizzes not submitted

by Joanna Bryson -
Number of replies: 10

There is a truly bizarre and unfortunate default in moodle quizzes, which is that if the time runs out on the quiz without a student having submitted the quiz, it is not submitted for them, is not marked, and can never be retrieved (though what they have done is saved and can be seen.)

Fortunately, there is an obscure option that can do the sensible thing and submit the quiz for them when the time runs out.  But you have to search to find this.

If you didn't find that option, or forgot one time to set it, and now you are trying to get your quiz properly marked, you may eventually find the relevant Moodle Quiz FAQ which admits there is no way to retrieve the quiz and suggests "Perhaps the best solution is to plan ahead and set your quiz to set your quiz to be submitted automatically."  Why yes, what a brilliant plan!  I do indeed now waste a lot of time finding that option every time I make a quiz.  Perhaps the best solution would be for the moodle developers to plan ahead and get rid of this default?  I can't imagine why anyone would want their students to fail because they were concentrating on the quiz when it ended!

How hard can fixing this possibly be?  I have found it as a  "known issue" with a tracking number in an older FAQ that unlike the one I links says it will be repaired.  Has moodle decided to keep this "feature"?  Why can't I just reset the end of the quiz to today, reset the option to submit on completion, and retrieve the students performance that way?  Or better yet, why can't we just select the attempts and push "regrade the selected attempts", and if necessary click something confirming that we are submitting on the student's behalf?  Why do I need to try to haul students in to click buttons for me?

I should say that otherwise the quiz programming is outstanding; I've been really impressed.  But this issue obviously has me completely flummoxed, and my marks are overdue.  I never believed it could be this hard to find a solution.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Bryson

Re: Objection to FAQ, and retrieving quizzes not submitted

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Just set it as default in the site admin quiz settings.  That does exactly what you want.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Joanna,

As Emma mentions, you can set a site wide default for what happens when time for a quiz expires. I also used to keep an empty quiz set up as a template with everything the way I wanted it, and kept it hidden from students. When I needed to create a new quiz, I would duplicate the template one, un-hide it, change the name and description as needed and then add questions. Having all the settings predefined made it so that I could very quickly create a quiz and not have to worry about needing to try and "fix" a setting during or after, a quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Joanna Bryson -

Thanks Emma & RL!  I will report this to our site administrator and ask them to make a better default.  

But please someone from moodle note this doesn't really do what I want, which is just to actually grade the quizzes that weren't submitted when I select them and push "regrade".

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Does that not work after changing the setting?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joanna Bryson -

No!  See the full question I talk about that.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is not that bizarre if you know the history.

In the past this option did not exist at all. The current default behaviour that you don't like was the way that all quizzes worked, with no option for anything else. Someone had to do the hard work to make automatic submission work correctly. (Actually, it took two people. I did most of it, then Matt Petro had to fix some difficult edge-cases that I had not considered. MDL-3030, MDL-35717) This was in Moodle 2.3.

The general policy in Moodle is that when new functionality options are added, the default for the new setting should be such that the behaviour of people's Moodle sites do not change. So, of the three options that were added, the Do not submit option was made the default. (But, admins can change the default for their site as has been pointed out.)

But, as you say, a more sensible default would be the 'Submit automatically' option. So, that was changed in Moodle 2.8 (MDL-47276). However, defaults like that only apply when a new Moodle site is installed. Once your Moodle site has been installed, whatever default your admin set is remembered.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Schadler -

Hi Tim,

I've read through a few dozen posts on this, and I'm still looking for one that says this has been fixed, and it's now possible to grade an unsubmitted quiz, just as Joanna Bryson was suggesting last May 27, 2017. I see posts about this going all the way back to 2012, where I think you wrote that it would be a good idea to add this feature, but I haven't found a post that says it's been done. Can this be done? I've just had this happen to me, and it's truly annoying. The student didn't submit his quiz, and now I can't go in and make comments on his answers, and grade it properly.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Peter Schadler

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Of course it can be done. It just needs someone with the time to code it. That has not happened yet.