Unable to customize Boost in Moodle 3.3

Re: Unable to customize Boost in Moodle 3.3

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Frederick, I will be giving a presentation at MountainMoot and MoodleMoot US on this topic.  I don't have my presentation together yet, but let me try to give you some guidance.

1) Remove what you have done and purge your caches, as suggested by Hartmut.

2) Make a copy of default.scss, found in PathToMoodle/themes/boost/scss/preset.  You can rename this copy to anything, such as "fs_preset01.scss".

3) Now go into your moodle, site admin, appearance, boost.  Move your fs_preset01.scss file into the General Setting, Additional theme, then Save Changes.  While still on this screen, in the Theme Preset dropdown, pick fs_preset01.scss, then Save Changes again.  Purge caches.  Your boost should not look any different (because your fs_preset01.scss is identical to the default.)

4) Now for the fun.  Edit your fs_preset01.scss and make a simple change.  For example, change the line "$brand-primary:  #00ff00 !default; "  This makes the brand "Green".  Now, go back into boost, delete your fs_preset01.scss present, reload your edited fs_preset01.scss file, save changes, purge cache, and finally you will see the green.

Yep, wow, a lot of stuff that you have to do, but this is how I have had success using my own preset file.

But here is the real thing that I do.  I first experience with CSS changes by going to Boost, Advances Settings tab, and putting desire changes into "Raw SCSS" textbox.  This textbox provides me a little easier place to make changes.  Then, with time, I move these css changes into my preset file.

In general, I like having my own preset file.  But it is a little hard to understand all of the things built into the default, so I actually prefer working in Raw SCSS textbox.  But I do understand the value of having your own default preset.  The concept is that I could give you mine, mean one file, and your moodle would look like mine.

For whatever reason, this Boost theme takes awhile to refresh (when making changes and purging caches.)

I am going to attach my experimental fs_preset01.scss file with this one change to Green.

I am not an expert at any of this.  I have learned from some great folks here on moodle.org.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by MAHADEV CHAURASIYA -

Hi Rick Jerz,

I copied default.scss, i changed to mycustom.scss in the same directories but i am't able to see   mycustom.scss in site administrator section, please give me any idea what should i do?

please please 

thanks you.

In reply to MAHADEV CHAURASIYA

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not sure if I have shared this with you yet.  I gave a presentation at MoodleMootUS about how I customized my Boost.  Here is my webpage with my resources and a video of my presentation.