Moodle 3.3 Google G-Suite configuration

Moodle 3.3 Google G-Suite configuration

by Wes Matchett -
Number of replies: 3

I have installed a fresh 3.3+ instance with the purpose of evaluating the G-Suite features.  I have created the OAuth 2 service described here: https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/OAuth_2_authentication

I have created an OAuth 2 server in Moodle at Site Admin>Server>OAuth 2 services and the System Account Created has a green checkmark.  The Allow login has a red x and I can't find a way to enable this.

I have enabled OAuth 2 in Site Admin>Plugins>Auth>Manage Auth and the settings are all unlocked.

When I click Dashboard>Preferences>Linked Logins I get this message:

None of the configured OAuth2 services allow you to link login accounts

I can't find anything describing what is causing this message.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wes Matchett

Re: Moodle 3.3 Google G-Suite configuration - OAuth 2 authentication

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Wes,

To get a green checkmark for Allow login, you need to edit the Google service and make sure that the setting 'Show on login page' is ticked. Once you've done this, you'll be able to add linked logins and have the option to log in with your Google account.

Thanks for highlighting this omission in the docs. I've just added the info to OAuth 2 authentication for others experiencing the same problem.

PS I'm just moving this thread to the Authentication forum for others to find it easily.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Wes Matchett -
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to allow the link to work.  However, the file upload dialog does not show the option to "Create an access controlled link to the file" (I am getting this wording from the on youtube.)  Is there another step to this?
In reply to Wes Matchett

by Wes Matchett -

I got it to work!  I found this Moodle Tracker:

Controlled links redirections (googledocs and onedrive) are not working in webservice/pluginfile.php
which said in step 5

Make sure to set "Supported files" to "Internal and External" and "Default return type" to "External (only links stored in Moodle)"
Both were set to Internal.  I set them and the linking is working now.

Thanks for your help.  I may have missed it, but I don't see this in the instructions.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)