Where is the Course Files Folder?

Where is the Course Files Folder?

by Data Ferret -
Number of replies: 3
Hi All

In a previous thread I asked how to import previous course material (including Flash Movies) into Moodle. These courses were created using Macromedia Robohelp and Macromedia Contribute (for the Flash Movies). Someone suggested importing them into a Course Files Folder. But I have looked through my directory structure (including Moodledata) and no such folder exists. Do I create it and if so where?

Just to check it was not me just being dim I imported several courses on using Moodle into my offline setup. All these courses contain a course files folder with html and images etc, but after they have been imported, although the courses show up fine I still cannot find a course files folder in my directory structure.

How do I install html pages and flash movies into a folder which does not exist or am I just doing it wrong? Can I create a course files folder manually and copy all my html/flash/images into it? If so where do I put it?

(I am VERY new to Moodle as you might have guessed smile)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Data Ferret

Re: Where is the Course Files Folder?

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Data
It is in moodledata, but it is not called "Course Files Folder." Inside moodledata there should be folders numbered with numbers corresponding to the ids of your courses. The ids of your courses are displayed in the URL when you are viewing a main course page forinstance. It is the X in the following URL
http://yourdomain.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=X
so the course file folder for this course will be
moodledata/X/
Tim
In reply to Data Ferret

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi again Data Ferret,

Apologies for misleading you with the name "course files folder" mixed What I meant was a folder called "Files" which may be accessed from each course home page (please check in the Administration block). You will then be given the option to upload a file e.g. a single html page or a zip file containing several html pages and Flash movies which you'll be able to unzip. Course materials may be made available to students by turning editing on and selecting "Link to a file or website" from the Add a resource drop-down menu. The "Choose or upload a file..." button allows you to browse the "Files" folder for your uploaded materials.

As Tim kindly explains, there is another way to access the course files folder. Perhaps you could experiment uploading a single file as I described, then check inside the moodledata folder.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Data Ferret -
Hi Helen & Tim

Many thanks for your replies. It makes a bit more sense now smile

Helen, it is kind of you to respond again to my questions. We will have to stop meeting like this or people will talk smile

I will try both your suggestions and hopefully will be moodling in minutes smile