Push notifications to Moodle Mobile app not working

Push notifications to Moodle Mobile app not working

by Brian Warling -
Number of replies: 11

I'm trying to figure out why mobile push notifications aren't working. We're running a registered Moodle 3.2.3+ (Build: 20170519).  We were successful in configuring the messaging server (messages.moodle.net) -- we successfully requested an access key, and that is included in the messaging configuration. Notifications are enabled on the site. The users who are testing have their notifications enabled properly. Their mobile devices (e.g., iPhone) are running the latest Moodle Mobile app. They successfully added the site, and made sure the app was set to receive notifications (both in the iPhone settings and the app settings). But when we submit forum posts, for example, no push notifications are received on the phone for those who should get them. I can go to the app and see that there are new forum posts in the notifications, but these notifications are being pushed to the phone. No alerts, etc. 

Is there anything else we should look at? How do I know that the messaging service (messages.moodle.net) is actually working for this site? Is there a way to test/ping this? I can't seem to find any troubleshooting information. 

Thanks... Brian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Warling

Re: Push notifications to Moodle Mobile app not working

by Brian Warling -

Hi.... Can anyone provide any info on why push notifications isn't working, given that we seem to have everything in place? Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks... Brian

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

the documentation about Mobile notifications is here: https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Mobile_app_notifications

Hope it helps, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Brian Warling -

I believe my initial post clearly demonstrates that I'm familiar with that page (we're running 3.2.3). Too bad there isn't any troubleshooting info there. We plan to set up our own Airnotifier server, which we hope will help pinpoint the problem. That appears to be our only option at this point.

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

have you checked the connectivity of your server to the Internet? Your server will need access to https://messages.moodle.net to send the messages, maybe that's the issue

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by BISS Edtech -

Hey Juan,

Connectivity to https://messages.moodle.net seems to be fine as push notifications are working with airnotifier for iOS, just not working for Android.

Thanks,

T.

by BISS Edtech -

Hi there,

We're running Moodle 3.2, iOS push notifications are working well, Android push notifications only work when the app is open. Have tried on 2 android devices so far, both have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

T/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to BISS Edtech

by Usman Kazi -

Hi 

i have the same issue its not pushing message to android devices, but we open the device the change was there.

can anyone help us in this issue, even we have the SSL cert as well 

Regards 

In reply to Usman Kazi

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Usman,

are you using the official Moodle Mobile app or a custom one?

Have you checked the documentation?

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Mobile_app_notifications

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Usman Kazi -

Hi Juan

Thank for your prompte response, we were useing the official Moodle Mobile App. and configure accorduing to your guidlines, but no message on mobile. 

Regards 

Usman

In reply to Juan Leyva

by nebula hub -

Hi Juan

we also have the same problem, we use the official app, the moodle site's version is 3.23 and the have already set base on the documentation.

we test on both android and IOS. it work fine on ios but it doesn't show any notification on android. the test device run android 7.0.

could you give us some help?

cheers

In reply to nebula hub

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

we just tested in Android 7 and we received correctly the notifications.

Could you try to test if you receive notifications from moodle.org?

Once connected to moodle.org you have to enable Mobile notifications in the site or via app settings -> notifications / messages.

You can ask someone to send you a private message to check if you receive a notification (or subscribe to forum discussions or forum posts)

Regards, Juan