Customising the Home Page - Adding Menus

Customising the Home Page - Adding Menus

by Data Ferret -
Number of replies: 11
Hi all - I have spent a lot of time coaxing moodle into the layout I want for my site. I am wondering how to add the Main Menu and some links in it on to the home page. I tried adding a resource but Main Menu does not show up? Once I have a menu on my page, how do I add things to it?

Demo Site: http://www.helpfiles.co.uk/moodle/

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Data Ferret

Re: Customising the Home Page - Adding Menus

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Data Ferret,

Firstly, your demo site looks great! approve Secondly, to add a Main Menu block, please login as Admin, click "Turn editing on" (top right), then select "Main Menu" from the drop-down blocks menu. Once you have your main menu, you'll see how to add things to it. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Data Ferret -
Hi Linda

Thanks for the reply. You are fast becoming my Moodle Gaurdian Angel smile

I logged into the site as Admin just like you suggested and turned editing on. But Main Menu does not show in the Blocks pull-down menu. I see HTML, Latest News, Messages, Online Users, People, Random Glossary Entry, Recent Activity, Remote RSS Feeds, Search Forums, Upcoming Events.

On the left I do see a Main Menu Block (when logged in) with options as follows:
Add a resource
Compose a Text page
Compose a web page
Link to a File or website
Display a Directory
Insert a Label

This shows only when I am logged in as Admin so I am assuming it is a default setting for adding/editing the page. I cannot find anywhere how to add the Main Menu to the home page and add/edit the navigation links.

Have I broke it already?
In reply to Data Ferret

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Linda! surprise I'll just have to try and ignore the fact that you wrote that...

Please don't worry about breaking anything, as Moodle is designed to be played with and is pretty unbreakable. wink

The drop-down menu won't include "Main Menu" if it's already on the page. You may add links by selecting "Link to a file or website" from the Add a resource drop-down menu.

However, I'm wondering whether you're misunderstanding the name Main Menu. I changed the name to "Links" when I discovered that some teachers were confused by the name. Perhaps you could check the Main Menu on the moodle.org homepage for an example of this block.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Data Ferret -
Hi Helen (or is it Linda - then again it may be Shirley?black eye) With all the women in my life I find it difficult to keep track (I wish) approve

As you have probably guessed I am easily confused. On the Moodle.org home page the Main Menu block has a list of links. This is like the navigation menu structure on a static website. So judging by your post, since the Main Menu block already seems to be on the home page, it will not show because it is empty. So all I need to do to create my top level navigation (i.e. links like Home, About etc) is add a Link to a file or website from the add a resource.

Have I understood this right Julie? (Oops I mean "Helen" the true Moodle Gaurdian Angel). wink

In reply to Data Ferret

by Colin Geenty -

Hi there,

I would also like to comment on how good your site looks and it brings to mind a question.

The text that you have in the middle of your page, is there a way to allow someone other than admin to edit this?...my reasoning...I am setting a site up for my school and my principal and the senior management team would like to have the option of posting s weekly update or comment etc to the main page,  i think this would be great but I am trying to avoid giving them full admin rights to do this.

Any ideas?

In reply to Colin Geenty

by Helen Foster -
Hi Colin,

You could consider having a front page format showing news items and give your principal and senior management team teacher rights to the home page (which is basically a course, usually with id=1).
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Delahunty -

Good amswer, to give them "teacher rights to the home page (which is basically a course, usually with id=1) "

- but is there an easy way of assigning this, without going directly to the database I mean?  And without giving them full admin rights, ie an Add Teachers screen for course id=1 . 

In reply to Tony Delahunty

by Helen Foster -
Hi Tony,

To assign teachers to the course with id=1, you may use the URL http://yourmoodlesite.org/course/teacher.php?id=1

In reply to Helen Foster

by Colin Geenty -

Fantastic Helen

That was exactly what I wanted to do!  Unfortunately I have found a drawback, the students can reply to this new item, is there a way I can make this a locked thread so only admin and those with course rights can post?

Thank you for all your help already and I promise to stop bugging you for a while

Cheers

Colin Geenty

In reply to Colin Geenty

by Helen Foster -
Hi Colin,

You may change the site news forum setting "Can a student post to this forum?" to "No discussions, no replies".

PS. You're not bugging me - I'm happy to help smile
In reply to Data Ferret

by Helen Foster -
Hi Data Ferret,

Please note that the Main Menu block is not the navigation menu structure. Moodle uses a navigation trail (top left e.g. Moodle » Using Moodle » Forums » Themes » Customising the Home Page - Adding Menus) and a jump menu (top right) and a button at the bottom of the page.

However it's possible to add a navigation menu block for some pages using Janne's CMS-like feature. Please check the CMS extensions and integrations forum for more details. It may be advisable for you to discover more of Moodle's many standard features though, before considering adding additional functionality.