Errors in apache2 log - is this normal?

Errors in apache2 log - is this normal?

by Conor Bradley -
Number of replies: 2

Just wondering if i can get some input from some more experienced Moodle sysadmins out there - I've noticed that our Moodle seems to put out a lot of error notices in our Apache 2 logs - example below. These aren't very helpful as they don't mention a specific module or give any extra detail on the error. I'm seeing around 40 of these every minute but there's no obvious impact on the site speed/problems.

Can anyone comment on whether this is normal?

Example:

[Tue May 23 15:17:02.021595 2017] [:error] [pid 28630] [client XXX.XX.XX.XX:50340] 2015111610

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Conor Bradley

Re: Errors in apache2 log - is this normal?

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are you using the BCU theme by any chance? That has a line in theme/bcu/lib.php which writes the Moodle version string to the error log. I can only imagine this is some debugging that got left in.

If this is the case, it's "normal" for this theme and not an indication of a problem. The theme is no longer supported but there was an issue logged for this: https://bitbucket.org/bcu/moodle-theme_bcu/issues/195/each-hit-is-logged-in-error-log-apache

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Leon Stringer

Re: Errors in apache2 log - is this normal?

by Conor Bradley -

That is a superb bit of detective work - we are using BCU, moving to adaptable very soon. Many thanks for this one Leon!