Course Totals for All Courses Ever Taken

Course Totals for All Courses Ever Taken

by Stuart Blake -
Number of replies: 11

Hi Moodle world,

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to have a grade history for students within Moodle.

Let's say a student does a course with multiple subjects over many semesters - is there a way to keep track of such information so that students have access to it? This would also act as a way to release final marks to student after each semester.

Another example is in the last semester, they can always go back and see all the marks they achieved over the entire course.

Is such a thing possible? Ive spent many hours already looking into custom reports, plugins, etc, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

In reply to Stuart Blake

Re: Course Totals for All Courses Ever Taken

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This is what the gradebook does...what do you not see that you want?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Stuart Blake -

Hey Emma,

It unfortunately only shows courses that are currently being taken. When we roll over each semester, we reset the course and unenrol the students from the subjects that they have completed. This means they can only see subjects they are currently enrolled in, and not their final marks for other subjects.

In reply to Stuart Blake

by C Behan -

Hi Stuart,

Students can view their grades for all courses they are enrolled on at [yourmoodlesite]/grade/report/overview/index.php. They can usually access it by hovering over their avatar, or clicking on the arrow beside it (see screenshot).

Does this suffice?

Catherine

Attachment mygrades.png
In reply to C Behan

by Stuart Blake -

Hey Catherine, thanks for the response.

We need the additional functionality of Moodle showing them the grades they received from subjects they are no longer taking. I know that Moodle does store this information in the grade history of a course, but it becomes unseeable to students once they are unenrolled from a completed subject.

In reply to Stuart Blake

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Why are you unenrolling the students?

by Stuart Blake -

For a few reasons:

- To keep the list of subjects down on a students /my page

-  To ensure that only current students actively taking a subject are enrolled and eligible for subject-wide actions (ie, message all students).

- To make sure that assignment dates that get reset with new dates don't apply to students that have already completed the subject.

Is it best practice to not unenroll students?

In reply to Stuart Blake

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

At the University of Kent we have an automated rollover system, but you can emulate it by simply backing up the course without student enrollments or grades etc. 

Restore the course as a new one, with either an indicator in the course name or shortcode which course this is, then enrol your new students. 

Each set of students will only see the course they are enrolled in. 

We separate years by running each year as a distinct Moodle with the year number. So currently students on 2016 are winding down activities whilst teachers are working in 2017 to adjust the course content if needed for 2017

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Emma Richardson -

I also create new courses each semester.  The course upload feature actually makes this very easy.  You just reference the previous year's course as the template and moodle will bulk restore a whole semester's worth without intervention once the csv file is created.

Then you can hide the previous semester's courses which keeps the records but hides them from the student's lists.

by Stuart Blake -

Hey Emma,

That sounds close to what we want, except that it hides the records from a student's view.

We obviously want to hide the subject from the student's view, and not give them access to a subject that ran 2 years ago. That would get cluttered very quickly. And so you can either unenrol them or hide the subject. That's fine.

But then, it also hides grades from their view when going to the grade overview as a student. What I'm after is something like:

Subject A - 84

Subject B - 56

Subject C - 63

when you go to /grade/report/overview/index.php. But let's say only Subject C is a currently running subject, so only Subject C shows up under /my (dashboard page). Subject A and Subject B are hidden, but still show up their final grades somewhere on Moodle.

Is it my understanding then that exactly what I'm after is not possible?

In reply to Stuart Blake

by Emma Richardson -

I wonder if you give students the view hidden grades permission, if that would do what you are wanting?  However, that would have a lot of other repercussions and teachers would not be able to hide grades from them...but you might be able to apply it at the course level maybe.  Might be worth testing...

If not, I suggest putting in a tracker item.  I could see a lot of people wanting that functionality.  I know there has been talk of a way of locking courses when they are done but that is not really the same thing.

In reply to Stuart Blake

by Andy Braden -

In the USA we typically call this behavior transcripts, historical views of my progress even after courses are archived/removed/un-enrolled. General convention has been that this is best pushed to a system of record (Student Information System or it's relatives) for permanent record keeping. 

I am largely a fan of systems of record that are dedicated to that purpose, however that doesn't always serve us in the trenches. 

One thought I had here in reflection was that if you left out the grade (as a percentage or letter) and shifted to a notion of competencies, this is what the Competencies tool supports by design. A more permanent record of my achievement in a Competency stored on the user rather than the course gradebook. I can see my achievements from prior work as they align against specific Competencies, and I can use that in a learning plan construct to see how far I have come and how much needs to go. 

It isn't exactly what you've asked for here, but perhaps with a little shift it could be a good fit for your needs or others who are contemplating the similar goals.