Drag & Drop QType Utility Suggestion

Drag & Drop QType Utility Suggestion

by William Stewart -
Number of replies: 3

I couldn't quite figure out how to suggest this as an improvement to the Drag and Drog Qtype, and also was curious to hear what others had to say.

I wanted to suggest that it be possible to add "or" logic. I'm thinking it is simple but of course, I'm not a programmer. 

Example

Directions: Look at an image of 2 people/listen to a conversion between 2 people.

List the 4 characteristics that describe each one.

Answer Choices:

Person 1: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Person 2: [5] [6]] [7]] [8]

Answer Set: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (randomized for each attempt)

The "or" logic would improve the utility of the qtype because these characteristics don't have to be in sequential order. If randomizing the answer choices, students to place them in a related order rather than the sequence defined by the answer key as seen above. While the items are correct, they would be considered wrong in this type of scenario. They could be:

Person 1: [1 or 2  or 3 or 4] [1 or 2  or 3 or 4] [1 or 2  or 3 or 4] [1 or 2  or 3 or 4]

Person 2: [5 or 6 or 7 or 8] [5 or 6 or 7 or ]] [5 or 6 or 7 or 8] [5 or 6 or 7 or 8]

The syntax could be similar to the cloze syntax with [1~=2~=3~=4] to be platform consistent.

You might ask why use the drag and drop for this scenario? You could do this with embedded answer/cloze! This is true, but it increases typing input errors. I work in a program whose students are non-native speakers and the input errors in spelling in certain cases are irrelevant-we are simply looking for meaning/comprehension. It doesn't matter if the words are written in the question as a word bank, it still happens. Drag and drop reduces this possibility but the inability to provide flexibility in the sequence is a tad bit frustrating.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Stewart

Re: Drag & Drop QType Utility Suggestion

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi William,

If you can install a new question type, the Gapfill question by Marcus Green can do what you want. The question type can do drag and drop, dropdowns, or gapfill type questions. It can even handle the case of allowing blank to be a correct option.

https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_gapfill

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Here is the documentation that covers using this question type for categories

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Gapfill_question_type#Tables_with_category_columns

In reply to Marcus Green

by William Stewart -
Marcus,

Thanks for the link! I've seen the gapfill plugin before but the documentation was very useful. It definitely does what I want but I try to not add a lot of extra stuff to our Moodle site for simplicity's sake. I do like how the syntax is there for multiple options with the pipe symbole, very elegant. 

i.e. [word 1| word 2] 

I wish such a simple addition could be added to core Moodle smile. Great work on the plugin!