Add Activity or Resource not working

Add Activity or Resource not working

by Chris Swaffield -
Number of replies: 10

My site is running 3.1.3 with the Pioneer theme. I’ve been informed by teachers that they can no longer upload files to our Moodle site when they are off campus. It looks like the Add Activity or Resource link does not become clickable. I’ve had teachers use both school and personal machines and had them update their java as well. Some are saying that the editing toolbar doesn’t load. I have been able to duplicate the issue while at home. The Add Activity or Resource link, for example, is dead - not clickable. 

I've changed to the default theme which didn't resolve the problem. This happens when course creators and admin log in. 

Have you heard anything similar to this? If you have any ideas, I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again. 

I've read this thread, but what appears to be the solution, doesn't apply to my site since it is an earlier version. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Swaffield

Re: Add Activity or Resource not working

by Arul R -

Hi Chris Swaffield,

Im also having this same problem.

Did you found the solution for this ? If yes can you please advice me how to fix ?

Thanks..

In reply to Arul R

by Chris Swaffield -

No, I have not found a solution to this yet. 

by Arul R -

Hi Chris Swaffield,

I found the solution for this problem,

Here is the solution

always_populate_raw_post_data should be -1 (always_populate_raw_post_data = -1 ) in your php.ini file (By default it is commented - Please uncomment ).If you change php.ini, don't forget to restart the server.

Thank You

In reply to Arul R

by Chris Swaffield -

Hi Jeen,

I have applied your suggestion, but the site is still refusing to allow teachers to upload files from home (off campus). I have yet to discover a solution to this frustration. 

by Chris Swaffield -

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a solution to this. 

I've updated our site to run 3.3.2 and teachers cannot upload files while of at home (off campus). I am at a loss as to what to check to get this fixed. 

When I was at home testing this, I noticed that not only am I not able to click the Add Activity or Resource button, but When I go to edit course settings, the collapsed items cannot be expanded. 

If anyone has any insight, I'd be greatly appreciative. 

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Not sure about 'anyone' having 'insight' as it might be a networking thing - and not everyone's network is set up the same.

When you are off campus, can you turn on debugging, then attempt something that fails.

If it's moodle, that should show something.  If it does, come back here and paste the text output of debug.

IF it's NOT moodle, but networking ... check servers firewall ... that could be an applications firewall (another server) in front of Moodle, BTW.  Check web services logs ... error log in particular ... but then again, checking web service access log also ... for your home IP address.

Is moodle setup behind a reverse proxy?

Lot's of guesses possible ... might help if you shared some info about your moodle server and setup.

You might need to check with the networking folks at your entity.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by hang chen -

Hello Ken Task

I have built a moodle server in my campus network. Students can use it in the campus, but teachers also want to connect it from their house outside of campus. So we use ezproxy of the library to make a link to our moodle. So it is a reverse proxy, and I met the same problem, the Add Activity or Resource not working, upload file frame not working, through the ezproxy link. We want teachers and students both can use our moodle from inside and outside of our campus network. But for some security policy, teachers can not use VPN software, and our moodle can not be open to world wide Internet.
So, do you have some good suggestion for me?  Thank you very much.  

Best Regards
Chen

In reply to hang chen

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

'ezproxy of the library to make a link to our moodle' ...

have no knowledge of ezproxy (evidently not so 'easy') ... nor what the above really means ... users hit the Library server, then click a link to the Moodle server?

If it's just certain links ... like adding an activity or resource, look at the URL's for those actions.  Could be a 'ezproxy' rule of some sort that's preventing.

A look at operating system logs on the Library server as well as the Moodle server would be in order.

Even some internal testing  - Library server to the Moodle ... some other server/workstation on the same network as the Library server using ezproxy links to the Moodle.

https://help.oclc.org/Library_Management/EZproxy

Also ... https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Reverse_proxy_frontend (which is old but should be viewed/read in conjunction with the setup of the EZProxy.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Jan Závěšický -

Hello,

I have same problem after updating to 3.6.1 (also tried 3.6.1+ on other domain).

Fixing problem that helped partially:

Disabling AJAX / Visual guide (Site administration > Appearance > AJAX & Javascript > Activity chooser) BUT I could not unroll any menu (f.e. Course type in Course settings - its just unclickable). So I could add resources and edit them - but when I need to add more answers in question in Lesson activity - I just could not click them (with disabled AJAX this is problem in every roll down menu).

Fixing that did not help (from another topics):

• Change theme
  • Install en language packs
  • (always_populate_raw_post_data = -1 ) in your php.ini file - Server admins disablet this option to public change

I also tried debug and info - but outcome was no critical errors

IDK what to do more ... its very frustrating since I have this problem in 3.5 and it disappeared without me doing anything. After updating to 3.6 there was also no problem - until today when I created Course (with 4 topics) and since then I could not switch it or create any other because I could not switch its visuals to f.e Single module course or for me critical activity - Lesson 
dead