Is the .swf filter supported any longer (Moodle 3.3 20170515)

Is the .swf filter supported any longer (Moodle 3.3 20170515)

by g k -
Number of replies: 4

I have a ton of .swf files that I am using as tutorials.  They were working fine for years. I had them inserted as links and with the .swf filter, they worked beautifully. Now, they don't work any longer. Has support for this been dropped? I noticed that they didn't work when I was running 3.2 as well. I can't figure out if my webserver is causing this to fail or if it's the software. Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to g k

Re: Is the .swf filter supported any longer (Moodle 3.3 20170515)

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

First, really don't know about the swf filter, but I have converted my swf files to mp4 using Handbrake. Best thing ever, getting away from anything like Flash. It did take a while but it was a good investment.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Well... it seems that Handbrake no longer supports the swf codec... disappointing but nonetheless not useful advice, although I am sure I used Handbrake. If you have access to Camtasia, that should do it, also a program called Super is supposed to do it as well but I don't know it. Sorry about that... sad

In reply to Colin Fraser

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As an alternative for Handbrake, g k might consider Any Video Converter. It's free but does have an advertisement nag at the end of converting files. The nice thing about it is it can batch convert files and also combine them. Batch convert REALLY comes in handy when you have a "ton" of files that need to be converted.

Pay close attention when installing or you will wind up installing some "extras" and changing your search preferences.

In reply to g k

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In Moodle 3.2 and above the multi media plugins filter got a long deserved overhaul. I think the filter you relied on is still there. It is just disabled by default.

Go to Site admin -> plugins -> media players -> manage media players and enable it. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)