Developing learning progressions using scenarios on Moodle

Developing learning progressions using scenarios on Moodle

by Nissrine Ghannoum -
Number of replies: 3

Hello , I am doing a research on developing learning progressions using scenarios on Moodle and I need support on how this can be realized in practice. I've done all the theories , learning styles and adaptive learning system , however I still don’t understand how this can be realized in practice. Any help ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nissrine Ghannoum

Re: Developing learning progressions using scenarios on Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Nissrine and welcome smile So that we don't repeat anything you have already researched, could you give an outline of what you have done regarding the theories, learning styles and adaptive learning system?

Also, how much do you know of the actual workings of Moodle? Do you use it a lot as a teacher and/or student?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nissrine Ghannoum -

Hi Mary and thank you for giving my post attention.

I use Moodle as a student . I take all my courses online.

Theoretically ,

• in e-Learning , the most commonly used model is the Felder-Silverman Learning Styles Model (FSLSM), which characterizes each learner according to four dimensions of learning styles: 1) Information Processing (active/reflective), 2) Information Perception (sensing/intuitive), 3) Information Reception (visual/verbal), and 4) Information Understanding (sequential/global).
  • Moodle is not an adaptive system, so  adaptive learning progressions can be developed based on learning styles.
  • Learning styles are measured using a questionnaire . Learners are asked about their preferences, personality, attitudes, and behaviors. Identifying and understanding learning styles can be used to create a more adaptive learning progression/path and a personalized sets of learning sequences.

How to take further , I am unsure .

In reply to Nissrine Ghannoum

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again and thanks for replying. I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Think again about learning styles; they were very fashionable some years ago but are very much dismissed these days. (Do a Google search of Daniel Willingham - 'Learning styles don't exist' for example.) (And if you really really need to write about learning styles, there is a questionnaire plugin which allows teachers to create learning style questionnaires for their students, but it is not in standard Moodle sites.)
  2. I am not sure what you mean by 'Moodle is not an adaptive system' since you can set up Moodle activities to personalise learninge experiences for students. A student gets below 50% in an activity -they are automatically directed to some extra practice. A student gets a high grade -they are automatically directed to an extension task. If the teacher so decides to use Moodle like this.
  3. It is good that you used Moodle as a student. However, you are not going to be able to do your assignment if you don't know how Moodle works as a teacher. I suggest you either (a) join Moodle HQ's free MOOC Teaching with Moodle which will show you how to teach with Moodle - or (b) get a free MoodleCloud site and learn on your own how to set up Moodle's teaching activities, coming back here for support when needed.