Changing total of marks

Changing total of marks

by Andrew Earley -
Number of replies: 8

I am looking to change the total of marks in a quiz, but not affect the marks given to each question.

I have tried to create a quiz with two scenarios (or sets of questions), where the student needs to choose one of them to complete.

Previous versions of quizzes with this format have been created (however these were created in earlier moodle versions, I am using 3.1 currently) without any issues.

There needs to be a total of 45 marks, 18 for the scenario and 27 for a set of multiple choice questions. However the quiz currently has a total of 66 marks, this is because it is including the marks for the second scenario that would have been ignored. I have set the maximum grade to be 45, however what this has done has set each mark to be worth 0.73 which has skewed the calculations. 

As said before we have other quizzes like this, that have been set with a total of 45 marks but have 66 marks if you count all the questions, including the ignored scenario. 

Is there any way I can do this still in 3.1? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Earley

Re: Changing total of marks

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Tim might correct me but in all my years of using the quiz, I have never known it to behave the way you are describing.  Which leads me to believe that you where using a plugin or another activity previously that is no longer available.  The only way I would know how to achieve what you want is to have three separate quizzes - one for the scenario and one each for the multiple choice questions.  Then you would either need to restrict access by group or write a custom category grade calculation to ignore the zero score on the quiz that they did not take.

Alternatively, you might look at the lesson module which I think could achieve what you want as it allows for branching.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Andrew Earley -

Hello Emma,

I can assure you, this is not the case.

This is a regular Moodle Quiz with 62 questions but has a total of 48 marks.

I have added a snipped screencap to show this.

I suspect an option in an earlier version allowed this.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, yes, you can set the total to be 48 marks now but it is going to adjust the worth of ALL the questions to total up to the total grade for the quiz.

I am on 3.1 and have the option as you show in the image to adjust the total grade...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Andrew Earley -

Hello it is not the "Maximum grade" that I am looking at, but below that, which has the "Total of marks" which is also set to 48.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It would be easier to see what is going on if you could screen-grab the whole of the Edit quiz page.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Andrew Earley -

Thank you for replying Tim,

There are a 62 questions so its hard to show the full page.

but below is the full screengrab.

We are using our own custom theme which we have noticed has a few overlapping issues but we are getting that sorted asap.

This quiz was created a while ago, this quiz was made in Moodle 1.9 if that makes a difference (which it most likely would).

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks. That is clear now.

Moodle does not support what you are trying to do. It never has done. I wonder how it was working for you before. Presumably someone had customised the code.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Andrew Earley -
Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for looking into this. 

I don't believe it was a code change as the updates to the quiz activity would have overwritten the changes (I or anyone else has not ever changed the code of quiz after updates).