word count allowances for essay questions

word count allowances for essay questions

by Sean W -
Number of replies: 7

I've found several posts referring to word count allowances and validation for essay questions, but haven't meted out how to enable this. I need to limit essay responses in quizzes, as I'm seeing 2000 and 3000-word responses to questions that require a maximum of 300 words. 

If this is part of the quiz>essay question type, can someone point me to the admin settings to enable it?

Or to a plugin that can do it.

Or to a different assignment module that has this.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean W

Re: word count allowances for essay questions

by Sean W -

Using Moodle 3.3, with atto editor (html).

In reply to Sean W

by Sean W -

Issue resolved.

In reply to Sean W

by Mihir J -

Hi

I am using Moodle3.3

Can somebody guide me how to achieve this using atto editor.

thank you so much

thanks!

Mihir

In reply to Mihir J

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This has nothing to do with the editor.  It is an assignment setting.  Select Online Text for the submission type and enable word limit in the Assignment settings.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Does this apply to essay questions in the quiz module? I'm not sure if that was the motive of the original question here but it is what I'd like to be able to do. I'm using the Essay question type in the Quiz and asking students to write a response between a set word limit but they don't have access to a word count feature making it something of a guessing game...or tedious counting process. 

Thanks

Jason

P.S. Nevermind...sorry, I just realized what thread this was posted in. smile I jumped here via a Google search and was initially unaware of which thread I was in. 

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by ben reynolds -

The old standby is to compose in Word or something else that does count words, then c&p into the essay question.