General developer forum

Proposed global search improvements (OU)

Picture of sam marshall
Proposed global search improvements (OU)
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi all, just an update that we at the OU are planning to contribute a few minor global search improvements for Moodle 3.4. In case anyone has any feedback on any of these (like 'that would be great/terrible/useful/useless'), feel free to let me know here!

A caveat: It's possible that Moodle HQ developers might not like the direction of some of these in which case maybe we can't do them! Although David Monllaó has written a nice comment on the first issue so I'm hopeful...

That said, the first round of planned improvements are:

• Make it possible to search blocks (MDL-58957)

In core this will include searching the HTML block (most of the other blocks don't really have 'content' of their own) but also for third-party blocks could become searchable if they like.

The main issue with this one is that it will be a bit limited as I think we can only easily make it search blocks that are placed directly on course pages. At least it might be possible for somebody else to improve that part later on.

• Allow partial indexing (from the scheduled task)

At the moment unless I've misunderstood it, when the scheduled task to update the index runs, it updates ALL of the index and there is no way to stop it. So for instance, supposing you have a plugin which is not searchable, and you have 1 million items of content in it. You upgrade to the next version of the plugin which is searchable, and you turn on the search area - suddenly the scheduled task is going to try to do 1 million search documents on its next run. That's not great.

You can work around this problem by using the CLI indexing tool but it would be nice if the scheduled task worked better. So I'm proposing to put a time limit on the scheduled task, for example maybe it will run for a maximum of 10 minutes and then stop, and then do another 10 minutes next time it runs (which should basically be within a minute, if you've set up cron the recommended way). With this it would then be nice if it gives priority to keeping up with the latest new content on the existing search areas (that are already current) rather than the one that needs completely re-updating.

• Allow easy Behat testing of search results screens

Basically I would like a nice way to fake search results from inside a behat test, this is because I'm going to make some custom UI into the search system here and I want it to be testable. So this would be a behat step that lets the UI work without having an actual search engine, something like (obviously not a realistic example, it would need more fields):

When global search receives the query "frogs" it returns the following:
| title | summary | url |
| First result |This is the summary text | http://example.org/frogs |

Anyhow I thought i'd let people know. If these go well there might be another round of exciting improvements later, I hope. smile

--sam

Average of ratings: -
Picture of David Monllaó
Re: Proposed global search improvements (OU)
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters
Hi Sam,

All these changes sound interesting and are welcomed smile The only possible drawback I can think of is if cli/indexer.php would default to partial indexing but it would not be a big issue anyway, just that if someone is interested in having all contents indexed immediately after an upgrade they would need to run cli/indexer.php multiple times.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of sam marshall
Re: Proposed global search improvements (OU)
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Thank you! smile

Re the CLI script I agree with your question, I guess it should probably default to full indexing (same as at the moment) when using CLI (that way there's no need to change any instructions or anything), maybe with a command-line option to do the partial indexing. I'll bear that in mind when I get to that one. (Haven't quite finished the blocks one; a minor crisis hit today so I'll get back to it next week.)

--sam

Average of ratings: Useful (1)