Moodle and MIS integration in the UK

Moodle and MIS integration in the UK

by Irene Krechowiecka -
Number of replies: 9

Can anyone or several of you help me out with where we are with Moodle and MIS integration? As you may know weve had a very successful trial of Moodle in Cumbria and Im at the point of getting the County ICT Strategy group to saying this is the VLE they will support. All very timely as there is a DfES announcement coming on Learning Platforms at BETT (BTW does anyone know any detail on this what I have is "Key changes are being made to the funding and deployment strategy for learning platforms from April 06.  These messages will be shared with local
authorities in January 06, and with schools that have representatives who
attend, at BETT06."

Our RBC CLEO has gained funding for a Learning Platforms roadshow in January and again they appear to be backing Moodle. However the big question that keeps coming up is integration with MIS. As I understand it schools that have tried to do this in relation to SIMs have hit a brick wall because Capita wont provide access to their code, although Ive also heard this might happen in the future. Is this something the UK Moodle community could work on together. If there is funding for Learning Platforms could we harness that to adapt Moodle to meet the standards of interoperability which will be set by Becta and Dfes?

My strategy group meeting is Thursday so any early thoughts on this much appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irene Krechowiecka

Re: Moodle and MIS integration in the UK

by Miles Berry -
This is going to be really important.

I believe that there's going to be funding at local authority/RBC level for the provision of 'personal learning spaces' from 2006, working towards implementation by 2008. I expect part of the deal will be that any LP has to meet Becta's specification, ie be on the new learning platform conformance regime list. I believe part of this specification will be that the LP is 'interoperable' with the MIS, although I notice that this is missing from the latest edition of the Institutional Infrastructure technical specification:

Learning platforms that are accessible using web interfaces shall use SSL and/or S-HTTP to secure their web interface.
The IEEE Standard for Learning Object Metadata should be used to describe learning materials.
The IMS Question and Test Interoperability Specification should be used to write and describe assessment materials (questions or tests).
Becta's Packaging and Publishing Learning Objects: Best Practice Guidelines should be followed for the description, structure, and location of online learning materials.
The IMS Learner Information Packaging Specification should be used when developing Learner Information systems.
The AccessForAll Meta-data (AccMD) specification should be used to identify resources that match a user's stated preferences or needs. These preferences or needs should be declared using the IMS Learner Information Package Accessibility for LIP specification.

There's more about this over in this thread.

The functional specification for learning platforms is due in Spring 06, so that will tell us where the goal posts are. Some of the funding though will be devolved down to school level, so one could imagine many an institution saying "thanks for the money, no thanks for your commercial LP, we like Moodle". This will present a challenge to the LAs and RBCs, but with Building Schools for the Future, which proposes a centralized, managed service, model for ICT infrastructure provision, the picture may change... anyone care to comment?

Now, MIS interoperability can mean many things - I think it may be as simple as authentication and enrollment, as I'm not aware that anyone's got direct read/write access working yet.

Becta have published a report criticizing the 'suboptimality' of present MIS provision, and are calling for more standardization and interoperability here, with possible a UK version of the Schools Interoperability Framework. However, in the meantime, I'm not clear how they'll be able to get any VLE to interoperate with any one else's MIS, especially not if both ends of the chain are closed source.

For an open source VLE (or indeed open source MIS) things are a bit different, as there would be nothing to stop SIMS adding code to provide read/write access directly into Moodle, for example. Of course, SIMS will probably prefer to promote their own learning platform, but word has it that at least one bit of Capita (SIMS' parent company) are using Moodle themselves, so who knows?

I don't see why LEAs and RBCs shouldn't be able to take LP funding and instead of paying for a commercial solution, put the funding towards getting a SIMS/Moodle interface up and running, together with all the other hoops through which Moodle may need to jump to secure registration: this is, I believe, just the sort of project which JISC (HE/FE rough equivalent of Becta) would fund. I believe it is possible to get some sort of 3rd Party developer licence which gives you access to the SIMS API, but this doesn't come cheap. There was talk in the UK open source group school-forge of working in this area, but I don't know how much progress has been made.

In reply to Miles Berry

by Miles Berry -
Further to the above, I've had a response from John Ingleby, secretary of schoolforge-uk, about the present state of play on open source MIS/SIMS integration stuff, which sounds very promising to me, and is pasted below. The integration of Moodle with the Shuttleworth Foundation funded SchoolTool mentioned below has the potential to offer schools worldwide a complete open source MLE (managed learning environment).

I've also heard reports of other LAs and RBCs that may be contemplating using Moodle as their Learning Platform, so I certainly don't think Cumbria would be the only ones interested in this option. Buckinghamshire and Newport are already up and running with Moodle, I believe, and I'd be interested to hear about any others.

We moved the discussions about MIS interoperation to another list
(http://groups.google.com/group/sf-uk-mias ) because it was all getting
very technical, and I recommend anyone interested in this topic should
join that group and browse the archive.

Our discussion has centred around developing an Open Source
implementation of SIF, the Schools Interoperability Framework, which is
a specification that already has proprietary implementations in USA and
Australia. Work is under way to adapt the standard for the needs of EU
and I believe that Becta are also working on a UK version of SIF.

SIF works through a hub or Zone Integration Server (ZIS). A zone may
comprise a school or grouping of schools, and each MIS system has an
additional module, or Client Agent, which interacts with the ZIS. The
ZIS itself has no data files, it is just a message-passing hub.

Capita appear to feel that the existing IMS, CBDS and CTF specifications
are more than enough for UK needs. Nevertheless, they are open to having
Schoolforge-UK join their partner programme, which would provide us with
the information needed to code a SIMS Client Agent.

I feel that our discussions in Schoolforge-UK have reached the point
where we must meet together and make some technical decisions, and then
start bidding for funds to implement an Open Source version of SIF.
We've had very helpful input from Tom Hoffman in Canada, who is project
manager for SchoolTool, and Matt Zimmermann in USA, who has actually
coded a prototype Open Source ZIS.

The situation is (forgive my simile) pregnant with possibility.

Recently there have also been some fervent pleas to "just get on with
it" and forget about SIF in favour of finding simple, direct methods of
accessing the SIMS database. Unless we are simply extracting data,
without the technical information from Capita we could find ourselves
corrupting the SIMS database by that route.

Any inaccuracies or omissions in this summary are mine, of course, and
you can view the whole discussion via the link above.

Best regards,

John

In reply to Miles Berry

by Irene Krechowiecka -
Miles you are wonderful. I'll follow all that up and let you know how I get on. Spoke to our local JISC and they are keen to collaborate. Will chase up Ian in Bucks as well. Do you know who the Newport contact is? Thanks again
Irene

by Michael Penney -

Hi Irene, does SIMs support LDAP?* If it does, that would be a good way to integrate as you can do authentication, enrollment, and course setup via Moodle's built in LDAP support.

Also see the IMS Enterprise spec discussed here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=34351

Support either or both of these open standards would allow Cambria to integrate with Moodle (and with a number of other LMSs) without needing to provide anyone access to their code.

Hmm, not glossary entry for LDAP yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAP

by Dave Emsley -
Hi,

I don't know if this will help as I'm just learning to Moodle myself but you can extra SIMS data as a text or CSV file including all the students' groups and class data. This can then be used generate Moodle users.

HTH

Dave
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Colin McQueen -
Does anyone have any notes, scripts or other code that they have put together to manipulate CSV export of user details and classes from SIMS to create a suitable import file for moodle? I have heard of some schools doing this but have not seen anything about it in these forums.

I know it's not what is ultimately needed. If I understand correctly that'll be the middleware to act as an agent between the hub in a hub integration model and moodle. Nor is it the halfway house position which I suppose would be middleware to deal directly with SIMS (I believe it's free to do read only fom SIMS but something like a £5000 licence payment to get write access as a Capita/SIMS partner)
In reply to Colin McQueen

by Dave Ames -
You can write to SIMS as long as you follow their guidelines and sign an NDA. Details here.