Installing and upgrading help

Can't install 3.3 locally on Windows

Picture of Pierre M
Can't install 3.3 locally on Windows

Hi,

I'm totally new to Moodle, and I'd like to first install it locally on my Windows machine. I downloaded the latest stable version (3.3), created the moodle database in mysql with utf8mb4_unicode_ci as collation, added a user to it, and created my data folder.

When I launch the install process from the browser everything works fine until I get to the PHP and MySQL checks, where it stops with the following compulsory tests :
- mysql_full_unicode_support#File_format (where I'm asked to convert the tables to barracuda),
- mysql_full_unicode_support#Large_prefix (where I'm asked to activate the large_prefix setting).

The thing is, no tables have yet been created in my database. So running the mysql_compressed_rows.php script doesn't do anything.

Additional info :
I'm using Moodle 3.3, in French.
I have WAMPServer running on a Windows 7 machine, with PHP 5.6.18 and MySQL 5.6.17 .

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Usman Asar
Re: Can't install 3.3 locally on Windows
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Pierre, I would have very much recommended using windows installer package rather than installing individual components and then installing moodle, as in installer package everything comes pre-set.

But if you want to continue current installation, then use commands in this documentation.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Administration_via_command_line#Converting_InnoDB_tables_to_Barracuda

Picture of john attwood

I would recommend using Oracle VM Virtualbox with a moodle image already installed and learn how to use it in Linux. This will be much more valuable to you in the long run. You also could use VMware player for free as well. 

poseypic
Core developersTesters

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/MySQL_full_unicode_support#Steps_to_upgrade

The main thing you want is to find your my.cnf file, and set the following;

[mysqld]
innodb_file_format = Barracuda
innodb_file_per_table = 1
innodb_large_prefix = on

Then restart MySQL/MariaDB and try again.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Pierre M

Thank you very much, this worked.

For further reference, my.cnf doens't exist in WAMP. The configuraiton file for MySQL is called my.ini instead.

FYI I chose not to use the installer because I already have a local development environment set up.

poseypic
Core developersTesters

Great - glad to have helped. Please rate my post as Useful if you found it so smile.

Good luck with the rest of the install!

Picture of Chandhru Sekar

where to change the my.cnf file on remote server

Picture of Usman Asar
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Chandhru, if you're on shared hosting, then you're out of luck, they wont let you access  configuration files for SQL databases.

Picture of john attwood

Get a free account on Google Cloud. Set it as a preemptable instance with Centos 7 or Debian. Use bitnami for your install.  Go to town. Your charges will be very minimal  after the initial free period is over (5$ per month) if you setup with minimal settings. You will learn something very  valuable information.  Shared hosting is the absolute worst way to go unless you enjoy something like root canal. At your age you should be learning Linux. 

Picture of Deepak Gour

Hi Pierre

That is a conman problem max people facing same problem.

You need to follow some step.

Please copy this code in below. 

[client]

default-character-set = utf8mb4

[mysqld]

innodb_file_format = Barracuda

innodb_file_per_table = 1

innodb_large_prefix

character-set-server = utf8mb4

collation-server = utf8mb4_unicode_ci

skip-character-set-client-handshake

[mysql]

default-character-set = utf8mb4

and Paste in your server php.ini file 

Restart your MySQL server.

Picture of Yasser Farid

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade Moodle core from 3.2 to 3.3, and I followed all the mentioned steps, but still getting the same

"mysql_full_unicode_support" problem,

we are running moodle on local Windows 10 host using Bitnami Moodle Stack,

any suggestions to solve it,

Error scrn sh.

Thanks

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

These are only in check status and should not be stopping you from continuing - are you sure there is not something else in the list with a Red status?

Picture of Yasser Farid

Hi, thanks a lot Emma, you are right there was one Red in the list and I fixed it, and continue, but now I got the portal Homepage, but when trying to login as admin or even clicking any item or course in the page, I got ¨Server Error"screen, any suggestion, thanks

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Check permissions on your moodle folder - make sure they are applied recursively.  I am not a Windows person so not sure of exact command you need there.

Try turning debugging on - you can do that in the config.php file (instructions in the docs).

If permissions do not fix, report back with actual error message after debugging is on.

Picture of Leon Stringer
Particularly helpful Moodlers

If it is permissions it might be a case of running icacls for your Moodledata folder.

Picture of Yasser Farid

Hi,

I still can't get the problem, I can navigate within the portal homepage, but when I try to login as admin or open any course it goes to URL:

/moodle/login/index.php

and showing the following error, although I'm working on the localhost server,

we are using Appache\PHP Bitnami stack,

Error Scr. Sh.

Thanks for Help.