How to Ban Member from Forum

How to Ban Member from Forum

by Sam Geppi -
Number of replies: 9

I am using moodle 2.7 - I am wondering how I can ban someone from posting in the forum.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Geppi

Re: How to Ban Member from Forum

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Maybe ... make a new role based upon student role if that's the role of the target.

Call it student - NF (no forum).   In that role seek the settings for forums and adjust accordingly.

Then, unfortunately, you have to make a decision how to assign the target the role ... system wide would cover all courses.   OR, reset the target account in each course to student NF.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Sam Geppi -

where do I create a new role?

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Ken Task -

Uhhhh.... Hmmm ... Site Admin Menu -> users -> Permissions -> Define roles

or use Site Admin menu search box for 'role' ... should appear in the list.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Sam Geppi -

thank you..  

Currently I have the role set to give all "student" permissions except for forum posting and responding. 

Should I set anything for "role assignments, override or switches".

I am not sure how to leave it blank as it seems to force me to select something. 

In reply to Sam Geppi

by ben reynolds -

Ken,

Wouldn't it just be to make the role Site wide in Site Admin and then way down in the classroom and then forum, give the kid the Dunce role so s/he can see but not do anything?

Of course, nobody would call it "Dunce." but it would only be applicable at the forum level (or any activity level).

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sam Geppi -

how do you do that?,.. 

"and then way down in the classroom and then forum, give the kid the Dunce role so s/he can see but not do anything?"

>> "way down in the classroom and then forum"

I do not see where I can set that

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Ken Task -

See Ben's response ... he might be correct!

2.7 is old (and so am I!!!!) ... many moons ago - don't have a 2.7 any longer and work with older/less disruptive students now ... jr high kiddo's before.   Seem to re-call didn't need overrides - but, memory isn't as good as it used to be either! :\

https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Main_page
https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Roles_and_permissions
The is also:
https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Roles_FAQ

I don't think you need overrides for the Student NF role.
Just assign the target student to that role.
Login as that student and see what they can see/do.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by ben reynolds -

Yup, that's it. The role is about context, and the more specific the context, the easier to make someone a Dunce only in one place.

Roles and contexts is one of the two most difficult concepts in Moodle. That's why courses now come with Users > Permissions > Check permissions. But, you can change roles for an individual down to a particular forum, using Locally assigned roles.

The most difficult concept, IMO, in Moodle is metacourse. I have compatriots who use it, but I only understand it for about 5 minutes. And we started using Moodle in 2008.

In reply to Sam Geppi

by Scott Christy -

It's too bad you're not using v 3.3 of Moodle. It has a really slick new feature in the forum that specifically allows you to restrict access to a forum based on criteria that you can select. One option is to restrict it based on specific keywords in a user profile so you could restrict a specific person based on their name. I was just messing around with this new feature and I can definitely see how I'll be able to use it!

What about this for a workaround in v2.7?  Could you use groups and groupings to set up a "no posting for you" group/grouping and then set your forum group mode to separate groups so that only students in the permitted group can see the posts in their group? The student in the restricted group would still be able to post but no one else would be able to see their posts other than the teacher.