Registration doesn't work after migration

Registration doesn't work after migration

by Varga László -
Number of replies: 7

Hi All,

First of all, i would like to thank you all of the members of this great community, who try to help for the newbies, like me smile

Moodle is a great opportunity to share knowing to others, thank you for this tool!

My problem is that after a migration, in the new server, the registration (self registration based on e-mail) doesn't work... sad

Every other things are OK, except the registration. I used the admin tool (replace the old URL in the database), but the problem still exist...My Moodle is Moodle 3.2.3 (Build: 20170508). Is there anybody, who faced this issue sometime?

Please help me...

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Varga László

Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle isn't a mail server ... never had been.

So would advise checking the settings for SMTP server ... that came across on migration cause it was in the DB.    That SMTP server may not be allowing your new Moodle to relay mail through it.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Tárgy: Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Varga László -

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply!

Strange, but i don't setup the SMTP server before the migration, but the registration still working...

After the migration (same host company, but another server, setup is same like the first server) registration is off.

(Not just the mail notifications, the registration itself doesn't work...)

In reply to Varga László

Re: Tárgy: Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Ken Task -

As far as smtp setup, where hosted might have done that a different way ... postfix/sendmail might have been setup with 'smarthost' so that any mail leaving your Moodle ... which includes using the built in PHP Mailer that Moodlle does by default ... would go to a hosting provider SMTP server for relay.

Only way to know, is to look at the header of an old message from Moodle.  Can see the paths the messages from Moodle took to get to your inbox.

Registration ...

Go to Site Admin - in Search box type: registration

Check settings.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Varga László

Re: Tárgy: Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Ken Task -

Site Administration - Search - 'registration'.

What 'Available' authentication plugins have an 'open eye'?

Also check a course that's representative of all courses.

In course click Gear icon ... upper right when viewing course.

More -> Users Tab -> Enrollment Methods.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Varga László -

Thanks Ken,

Finally i found the problem. It was upload an incompatible plugins, which cause the problem when i upgraded the Moodle to the newest version.

Thanks for your help again!

Best regards,

Laszlo

In reply to Varga László

Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Ken Task -

Congrats!   Well done! 

Yeah, in-compat plugins have a way of messing up upgrades. :\

May as well extend the sharing ...

Got caught in one of those no long back and found that one of the pre-checks for upgrading along with PHP, MySQL etc., a check of the versions of installed addons.    Do that with moosh and a bash shell script that loops through an addon list and then shows versions available.

addons.txt ... a listing of addons installed

mod_attendanceregister
mod_certificate
mod_simplecertificate
block_configurable_reports
theme_essential

Tbe script: checkaddons

#!/bin/bash
#
echo 'Add-on listing: ';
cat ./addons.txt;
echo '---------------------';
for i in `cat ./addons.txt`
do
   echo "Addon in que: $i";
moosh -n plugin-list |grep $i
done

Output can be redirected to a txt file and then viewed.     Not very pretty but functional.   Looks like:

> addoncheck.txt

mod_certificate,2.0,2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7,2.8,2.9,3.0,3.1,https://moodle.org/plugins/download.php/12072/mod_certificate_moodle30_2015111602.zip
mod_certificateswall,2.0,2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4,https://moodle.org/plugins/download.php/1857/mod_certificateswall_moodle24_2012121301.zip
mod_simplecertificate,2.2,2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7,2.8,2.9,3.0,3.1,https://moodle.org/plugins/download.php/11634/mod_simplecertificate_moodle29_2016062229.zip
block_configurable_reports,1.9,2.0,2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7,2.8,2.9,3.0,3.1,https://moodle.org/plugins/download.php/12376/block_configurable_reports_moodle31_2016020103.zip
theme_essential,2.5,2.6,2.7,2.8,2.9,3.0,3.1,https://moodle.org/plugins/download.php/12426/theme_essential_moodle31_2016061711.zip

One can see potential issues ... such as the mod_certificateswall ... which has as high as 2.4 ... but nothing for 3.x.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Registration doesn't work after migration

by Varga László -

Dear Ken,

Thanks for your professional advice!

Best regards,

Laszlo