Moodle Upgrade Question

Moodle Upgrade Question

by Under Dog -
Number of replies: 3
MOODLE v2.4

Hello,

We currently have a Moodle install but want to upgrade to v3.2x.  What is the current stable version to use?

Also, our current Moodle host is being a bit awkward about the move as we would be moving away from their service.  They are willing/able to grant us access to our current install via SSH/SFTP.  Is that sufficient enough to make the move away from them with all of our site data, etc or do we need root access to their server?

I've been quoted about 45-60 hours to do the upgrade....does that sound right?  We have about 20GB as part of our Moodle install.

Thanks for the insight!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Under Dog

Re: Moodle Upgrade Question

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You shouldn't need root access. 

Upgrading a Moodle install that has no 3rd party plugins or integrations (e.g. cloud based plagiarism detection etc) can be done from first preparation within a single day. The actual upgrade (i.e. excluding test runs), should take a matter of minutes, e.g. 10 minutes or thereabout. However  the time required for a real world tends to be longer because of the need to test 3rd party plugins and ensure that integrations work. 

For example many sites have their own custom themes and testing on a new version can take time.I used to do more than one test upgrade and as we had quite a few plugins and integrations the total time was measured in a number of days and 45 to 60 hours was similar to the total amount of time I used to take.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Under Dog -

Hi Marcus,

We don't have any 3rd party plugins....it's a pretty bog standard installation.

In my mind, this seems to be a pretty straightforward upgrade as far as that goes.

I hope it doesn't take a huge amount of time!

In reply to Under Dog

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

While Marcus is correct on the currently hosted end ... site is probably setup with user jail ... it's the platform to which one is migrating that needs to be prepped.  Case in point ... the db dump you get from currently hosted site will need to be imported into a db on the new.   Knowing the settings for my.cnf for the site on current hosting is a plus cause one might need to adjust my.cnf settings on the new platform or experience some 1 step forward 1 step back issues.    Things like max_allowed_packets for DB ... and then there is also php settings ... migrating some quite a bit like fresh install of newer in that for a short time php is pushed ... and so is apache if using web interface to migrate.

In order to know, thus make the migration easier, more efficient, which equates to less time ... knowing settings of current site so that at a minimum, those same settings can be put into place on new system prior to spinning up the new site.

I, myself, have been involved in several of these types of migrations and an say beyond a doubt that no two were alike ... exactly.    What kinda struck me was the time quoted .... 45-60 hours seems alot.   Those are billable hours, yes?   I too would want some extra time to address un-known or foreseen issues with the migration, but have never asked for 45-60 hours.

If you don't mind some advice ... ask the person doing this, if they could get your migrated site to be updateble/upgradeable via git.   Even if you don't, yourself, do updates/upgrades in the future but contract those out, git would mean fewer hours ... and perhaps less prone to error updates/upgrades.

Am not stumping here to take over the job, mind ya ...  ;)

2 cents worth ... I know ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken