Making files uploded in a database activity available from File Picker

Making files uploded in a database activity available from File Picker

by Luis de la Torre -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted a doubt about how to do something with moodle and in the past you have all been extremelly helpful. I hope this time will be the same!

So, the idea I have in mind is that I want a database activity in which users can add a record. Each record contains, as one of it fields, a file. I would want these files to be accessible from the File Picker, so that, for example, a teacher could pick it (or link it by creating an alias) to add it somewhere else in Moodle, just like he would be able to do it with a dropbox, webdav, google drive or whatever repository if the appropiate repository plugin is enabled.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis de la Torre

Re: Making files uploded in a database activity available from File Picker

by Luis de la Torre -

So...

As I stated in a different topic, I can't use the Server Files repository for this because the database activity is placed in the frontpage and it looks like this repository only gives access to files that are inside a course.

Therefore, probably the solution would be to create a new repository type plugin that gives access to front page files, right?

Anyone with a better idea, interested in such a plugin or willing to collaborate on the development of a plugin like this?

by Luis de la Torre -

Maybe it would be better to extend the Server Files repository so that this repository also gives access to files in the frontpage, right? That seems better than having a separated "Frontpage Files" repository.

I have added an issue in the tracker with this idea: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-59191 

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Wouldn't you be able to achieve this with the Recent files repository?

In reply to Paul Holden

by Luis de la Torre -

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comment.

Unfortunatelly, Recent Files doesn't show files added to the frontpage neither, just like Server Files. Moreover, I guess Recent Files only shows recent files and the files I might have in the database activity in the frontpage may be months old.