Courses and course formats

Course Start Date and Time

Picture of Emma Richardson
Course Start Date and Time
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

When you set the course date, it appears that Moodle also creates a start time for the course that mirrors the time of creation (maybe..).

I can see that this line in the edit form relates to the time stamp set on the course start date:

$mform->setDefault('startdate', time() + 3600 * 24);

I need a way to be able to set the start TIME manually - does anyone have a hack for this?  I am thinking a setting option in the edit and add forms that will then adjust the linux timestamp accordingly.

Actually, I would think that this should really be built into core - as we now have end dates, shouldn't we also be able to set the time that the course starts and ends?

Would greatly appreciate any help on this - I am trying to use Moodle to schedule trainings but I need a way to be able to have times on the courses as well as dates.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Gareth J Barnard
Re: Course Start Date and Time
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Not 'also' but 'is'.  The start date is stored as a 'datetime'.  So there is not two entities for the start date, just one being what you have found.  So the code there is working out the next day with a margin of error.

Why do you need to change the time manually Emma?  Knowing this may help with a better answer.

Also course end dates / times are being altered for weeks format - see: MDL-56251.

Average of ratings: -

Because I plan to use Course Enrollments as a kind of Event Registration system.  We do professional development for our teachers. This way teachers will automatically be added to a course where we would post session resources, videoconferencing link for the session, and evaluation forms and self generated certificate.  Instead of having them register on our front end site, I have found a Word Press calendar that will pull Moodle course start dates which then click to a descriptive page with an enrollment link.  It all works perfectly, except I need to be able to enter a start time so that our teachers know what time the event starts and so it pulls correctly in the different calendar layouts.

Oh, I am actually not that concerned about the end date as we would want teachers to be able to access courses for some time after the professional development session.

Gareth J Barnard
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I don't think you can change the course start time form directly in a course format.  Possibly a theme though.  Or you gave a start time as an extra field in the course format and have the code combine the two for Wordpress.

I was thinking of just hacking core...

Actually now I am moving towards getting the Moodle calendar to pull course start dates and use it as my event registration calendar, effectively cutting wordpress out altogether..it is actually the next project for MUA but that part isn't included but seeing as we now have end dates in courses, it would make sense to make start and end dates part of the calendar in my mind...

I have someone quoting it for me (in a theme maybe) but if anyone has any code snippets to throw my way, I would greatly appreciate it in case the quote comes in too high!

Picture of zahra s

Hi

I want to share my courses by dates, for example, all of the 2016 courses are shared with someone & all of the 2017 courses are shared with another one, is there any plugin do that? or how can I do like this?

What do you mean by share?  You can separate them by category and then enrol people in that category...

Picture of zahra s

I have created many courses which some are for 2016 and some for 2017. I want to separate them. I want to share & give access the courses of 2016 with some specific people and do the same with courses of 2017. Is there any way to do this on one moodle platform website?

Ok, so use my suggestion above then.

Yes, that's me
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
Hi Emma,

There are several activities for event booking.

But for me the natural place also is the course format. Using an activity feels more like a workaround (at least in my experiments).

Did you make any progress with your idea?

You mentioned that you "pull course start dates and use it as my event registration calendar". I think this is great. I only see one problem: will those dates be site or course events? If they are course events, users can not book them via the calendar. If they are site events, users can not use the calendar to see their upcoming starting/end dates. If they are both, there might be duplicated entries for those who booked a course. But maybe I see something wrong...

Best,
Flotter

I actually have this up and running Flotter.  It is working really slick.  I have a plugin that I had written that takes all the course start dates and times (simple hack on course edit page to add date entry) and adds them to the calendar as a site event with a customizable link that goes right to the enrolment page.  The developer said that he would add the plugin to the database but not sure if he has done that yet.

I also use the course template plugin so that my managers can quickly add a new event course.  So far, it is working great and our continuing education certificates are all generated automatically.

Yes, that's me
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
I understand that also using the course template plugin makes sense smile I think otherwise it would be a lot of work to create a course for each event.

Regarding the calendar events: It might be a minor problem but if calendar events are inserted as site events, users cannot use the calendar to view "own" event courses. Of course on the new dashboard they can, but not in the calendar. I think it would be nice the calendar could be used in this context as "booking tool" (find event courses and book them) as well as "reminder tool" (overview of all own event courses including own events)

It doesn't affect course events.  It only pulls the course start and end dates and makes that a site event.  Course events still show up as course events (not that we actually use them) and users can still add user events.

Picture of Crishna McGivney

Hi Emma, 

I to need a start time and end time, working with time zones I need to set the course start time to be EST.  But as it stands  If I do that and work in EST  it allows the students (in MT) to access the courses 2-3 hours earlier than the rest of the students. This allows  a portion of our students to gain access the day prior to the rest of the students. However the remainder of the course adjust to the time Zone the student has their profile set to.  

Have any ideas how to hack that or build it?

That should not work like that - if something is set to 12pm EST, then students can access at 10am MST which is in effect the same time...