Database

student is unable to add entries in database activity

Picture of Alaukik Kotecha
student is unable to add entries in database activity

Dear all,

I just added a database activity to my course. and from student login i can not see  add entry tab...  i checked in the permission section i can see student by-default has write entries access.. but still student does not see add entry tab. 

I'm using latest moodle version which is 3.2

i actually had to give student manage entries permission to ensure they get access to add entry tab... but i do not want to give them access to manage entries tab... can you guys help me with it...

Average of ratings: -
Picture of William Lu
Re: student is unable to add entries in database activity
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are you using a real student account and enrolled them as student role only?

Picture of Ambrish Tiwari

Hello Alaukik 

Either:

• Set up the database so that entries require approval. If the entries are never approved, then only the student that added a particular entry and the teachers can view it.

Or:

• Set the group mode of the database to "Separate groups" and assign each student to a separate group.

Or:

• On the edit settings page, set the maximum number of entries to most that any student would be posting and the entries required before viewing to be higher than the maximum number.
More help please follow link.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Database_activity_FAQ

Picture of Victor Winter

Dear Alaukik, 

I have the same problem, but the funny thing is.. not always. I have actually made two distinct databases in two different groups. The first one should be a list with questions that students have to add during the next summer semester and the second one is a list of traineeships. 

With the list of traineeships the 'add entry' tab is visible for students. With the 'list with questions' the 'add entry' tab is not visible for students.

I have compared the settings of both databases but I cannot seem to find the difference... 

What could be the case here? I am very open for any comments. 

kind greetings, 

VJW

Picture of William Lu

As Ambrish Tiwari suggested, check Group settings in the Database activity and in course group settings, and try to login with the real student account with a group.

Picture of Victor Winter

Dear William, 

Thank you for your response!

The settings in both Moodle groups are the same, both the general groups settings as well as the database settings. This cannot explain why students can add entries in one database, but not the other.

Kind greetings,

Victor

Picture of William Lu

Hi Victor,

eh, it is strange. 

How about you enrol me with a teacher role temporarily so I can have a close look.  

Picture of Victor Winter

Hi William,

I found it!!! It was hidden in the course administration - users - permissions.

There is an enormous list with all kinds of permissions for all kinds of activities (not only databases). Two screenshots attached (left the course where entries where possible, right where it wasn't).

Thanks for your offer, but it worked out now.

Hopefully this will help others as well,

kind greetings from Germany,

Victor