Drag and Drop Images onto a background Image

Drag and Drop Images onto a background Image

by michelle manning -
Number of replies: 5

I created a drag and drop question (V 3.0) for the first time. My drag and drop images are gigantic and I can not figure out how to make them smaller. I saw a sample of a map with flags as the droppable images and they seemed to be small relative to the background. The 6 draggable images I created cover up half of the background and overlap each other if I try to line them up the way I want to. I tried making the images smaller before I upload them, but they still always revert to the same gigantic size. Thanks for any help.

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 7.04.18 AM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to michelle manning

Re: Drag and Drop Images onto a background Image

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Could you zip the pictures into one file and upload them here so we can try them in our Moodle's to see if we can get it to work the way you want?

Also, did you know that the Drag And Drop Matching question will let you put your formulas in as MathJax notation and let you drag and drop the rendered pictures into the answers? Note: If you try this be sure and turn shuffle off so your steps' stay in order.

In reply to AL Rachels

by michelle manning -

I did not know about the drag and drop matching questions. Which kind of question exactly to I pick for that? I am not a programmer (just a math teacher) but I will give it a shot, I just am not sure which type to pick from the list of question types.

Thanks for the help. I still would be so grateful if I could make picture on picture drag and drop activities and be able to drag smaller images onto the background image.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the pictures. I'm right in the middle of something at the moment, but will try and return something tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have attached a Drag and Drop Matching version of your question. It is in Moodle XML format. And I'm sorry to say, I did not realize until just now it is a question type that is not in core Moodle so you might not be able to use it.

I'll try to get to the other versions as soon as I can.

by AL Rachels -

I've been playing with this for a while today and have come to the conclusion that your best bet is to install the drag and drop multiple choice question as Moodle and MathJax will automatically take care of making your answers "fit" where they need to go with that question type.

The problem you experienced with drag and drop into image is explained in its documentation. The background image will be displayed at a maximum resolution of 600 x 400. Since your picture starts out at 576 x 768, it gets scaled down. Draggable items cannot be more than 150 x 100. Yours are in various widths of over 200 which means they all get scaled. The upshot is that, using your current pictures, you will never get things to easily match up the way you want them to.

The reason I recommend using the drag and drop multiple choice is because even after resizing the chalkboard to 300x400 with the answers on it, then creating the answers from that picture, I can't get them to match up in Moodle even though there should NOT be any resizing needed.

In reply to AL Rachels

by michelle manning -

Thank you so much for all of your help and efforts. I tried some of the other drag and drop questions, but I could not figure out how to get the equations to show up as answers, they would only show up for the question part of the problem. I copied and pasted from mathtype in MathJax form, but I just could not figure out how to get the draggable answers to be "rendered". I still very much appreciate the time you took to figure out my problem. Thanks so much and have a wonderful night!