Set number of sections course in Moodle 3.3

Set number of sections course in Moodle 3.3

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Number of replies: 50
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all

During my tests, I have no more the number of sections course setting.

I know in an other discussion, this setting has been removed in Moodle 3.3 because of the new functionality instead of orphaned activities with a new admin setting  'Allow activities to be available but not shown in visible sections of course page' (MDLQA-10469)

But, I'm maybe a little bit confused about that.

I try to explain.

Before :

• I can specify the number of section at the course creation process, for example 5.
  • If I want 2 new sections, I put on the "+" twice.
  • If I want delete 1 section I put on the "-" once.
  • If I want to add 6 sections, I come back the the course setting and set to "11" the section number
  • If I want just 1 section, I come back the the course setting and set to "1" the section number

Now :

• I can't specify the number of section at the course creation process, and the number is base upon a system setting (Site administration / ► Courses / ► Course default settings)
  • If I want 2 new sections, I put on the "+ Add section" twice.
  • If I want delete 1 section I can't put on the "-", I have to delete the section.
  • If I want to add 6 sections, the only way is to put 6 time the "+Add topic"
  • If I want just 1 section, the only way is to delete section 5, and delete section 4, and delete section 3, and delete section2... it's a long process if I have a lot of section created...

It's a little bit of a damage to lose this ability to bulk change the section number from the course settings

Am I wrong ?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

Re: Set number of sections course in Moodle 3.3

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Salut Luiggi. No, I don't think you are wrong and I undersand why you say  it is a shame/a pity to lose this ability. But let's see what others say  -perhaps we are missing something important.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jasmin Klindzic -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I can also agree with what Luigi said. I am an administrator of medium sized Moodle installation (10.000 users, 2000 courses, around 600 teachers) and most of my teachers don't want to use + and - icons in current version that we are using, especially when they have to add or remove larger number of sections. I was really puzzled when I was QA testing something for 3.3 release and found out that this feature was missing, and even more puzzled when I was told that it was deliberately.

Since this feature is on the "Course settings" sub-page, I do not see a problem with re-enabling (or re-introducing) it ASAP. It won't change look and feel of the new UI at all. Please return that feature or a lot of us will be stucked (willingly) on version 3.1 or 3.3 indefinitely. Removal of that setting is a deal-breaker for me.

I see no good reason to remove that feature/setting whatsoever, but I see a lot of troubleshooting and support tickets in my/our future if it stays that way.

In reply to Jasmin Klindzic

by Vedran Mušica -

I can just agree that removing setting number of section is just wrong. It makes usage a lot harder. This move isn't welcome from Moodle devs.

By the way, we have more than 40k active users, almost 6800 courses (just in this academic year), and more than 3500 teachers.  And now, explaining to 3500+ users that easy usage of course section numbers is history, well, it's almost impossible. This makes our situation really hard, and I too expect a lot of calls, emails, and we need to explain that easy is replaced with bad, non-intuitive way...

We might even skip update to 3.3, and hope this will be in 3.4.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I second your thought, Jasmin.
+1 from me to re-introduce the section number field.
Does anyone want me to open an Issue in Tracker? I'd gladly create it.

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Jasmin Klindzic -

Yes, please, Luca. Open it! Maybe we can get a momentum to re-introduce it in 3.4? smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The issue where this was removed is here:  https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-57769

It contains the reasoning.  Have a read.  

IMO there at least needs to be a better UI on the topics and weeks page to add or delete more than one at once.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

+1 for keeping the setting in Edit Course page, with a warning next to it about how changing the number may impact on orphaned activities etc.

For the +/- buttons, is there not a trade-off here - have it as a system level 'extra feature' setting as to whether or not the +/- buttons are shown at the bottom?
That way you get your usability viewpoint for the clean install, and those of us with users who understand it (plenty of ours do, with no problem whatsoever) can keep it with another of those stock settings we would change anyway.

And if enabled, and someone clicks + or -, it pops up a reminder of what it does (e.g. 'by clicking this button you will remove the bottom topic - if there are resources or activities in this section, it will orphan them. if you wish to proceed, click OK' and offer OK/Cancel buttons; and similar for the + button).

by Jasmin Klindzic -

So, currently we have 11 votes for MDL-58837. MDL-56590 was solved because of 9 votes at that moment (now it has 10). A solution that Dave Perry gave (or a proposal for a solution) in this discussion looks good. And in MDL-58837 discussion, David Morrow also had a good proposal. Can one of those be transformed into some kind of feature request for 3.4, please?

And in the meantime, could we get the removed course setting back in one of the minor updates for 3.3, please? I was planning migration to 3.3 this summer, but obviously without that setting, I will use 3.2 or 3.1 even.

by David Morrow -

Thank you, Jasmin! To inject it into this discussion (edited slightly from MDL-58837):

How about changing "Add topic" to something like "Add topics" or "Add more topics"? Followed by a fill-in-the-blank prompt similar to when editing a section name? (Add __ topics. Escape to cancel. Enter when finished).

Workflow would be:

• click
  • enter a number
  • press Enter

I say this backed by the confidence that comes with ignorance - I have no idea how do something like this, or how it would impact other features. But it would put the action directly on the course page and scaffold from a task already familiar to (and liked by) teachers.

by Melissa . -

I also vote for putting this feature back into Moodle.  I have used Moodle in the past, but stopped using it for several years (because I was working on other projects).  I went back to Moodle today to begin a new site install.  I installed Moodle 3.3, and added my courses.  But I only added the course names and the descriptions -- a course catalogue.  Each course defaulted to 5 topics.  I stumbled onto this topic, and now realize that  I am going to have to uninstall Moodle 3.3 and install Moodle 3.2, because I am never going to know at the course creation how many topics / weeks are going to be in a course, and these values can be anywhere from 12 topics to courses that can have 180 days or even more.  The old way of putting in a number in the course settings for the number of topics / sections / weeks was definitely better.

As for the argument about "hanging activities" that can get lost when the number of topics is reduced, there is a simple solution.  For every course, create topics+1.  The +1 topic is always the "teacher's notes" topics and is never visible to the students and can never be deleted.  If a teacher wants 5 topics, in the source code, 6 topics will actually be created -- the 5 topics for the course and the 1 topic that is the teacher's notes section.  Any time, the number of topics is reduced and there is an issue with not knowing where to put an activity, because it was in one of the topics that were deleted, those activities are placed into the "teacher's notes" section.  This is how WordPress handles side items when a person deletes a whole section from the sidebar and there are modules in that section with settings.  Those modules are not deleted.  They are just put into an administrator work area.

You can also add an option to "delete empty topics" or "delete topics that are checked".   Not all teacher's create topics in order.  It is very realistic to enter in the mid-term and final project, and then fill in the other topics.

Also, I think restricting the number of topics / sections is a bad idea, because you don't how exactly a teacher is going to set up a course.  But do allow the feature to indicate how many topics to display on a page.  This would be similar to a store restricting how many products are displayed on a page.  Right now it is only all topics or 1 topic. 

Here is scenario that is not a standard course scenario that I am currently working with.  I am creating an intensive language course.  The course is going to be 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 10 months.  That is a total of 1000 hours of coursework during a physical school year.  Later on I am going to have to break up this course into versions that are two hours each day; and 1 hour each day.  Right now, I am not sure if I want to set up the course with each topic being a day (4 physical hours of class time) or each topic being a physical hour of class time.  I am going to have to play around with the system to see how things can work out visually and practically.

Bottom line is that the number of topics should be unlimited, but the number to display on a given page should be restricted.  If a student knows that each topic is a physical hour of class time and the course is 1000 hours long, they are not going to be "shocked", because they know that is what they are signing up for before they sign up for the course.  Or in the case of a elementary school teacher, that is just a standard school year.

by Brian Pool -

My issue is not the fact that it is different.  The site now hangs whenever you turn editing on.  We just upgraded from 3.1 to 3.5 and the delay is extremely noticeable.  If it is this noticeable with no users other than myself testing, it is going to be very painful with 1200 of them.  Mine shows 1002 topics every time I edit a page.  Maybe there is something that didn't upgrade correctly from 3.1???

Brian

by Brian Pool -

Martin,

Is there a move to change this all back to the previous method that worked for years?  I have been with Moodle as an administrator since 1.5 and this is a change that is causing major issues to my upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5.  I only use the LTS now and only upgrade over the summer.  All my upgraded classes have 1000 sections after the migration and the site is terribly slow with that many sections rendering in every page as they load.

I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.5 directly with no issues.  Would this not have been an issue if I had incrementally upgraded through 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and then 3.5?

I need to find some way to fix this before staff starts working on their Moodle pages for the fall as Moodle just went from great to a dud with the upgrade for us.

Brian

In reply to Brian Pool

Re: Problems with course sections since upgrading to 3.5

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your site since upgrading to 3.5. I'm confused though as to why your courses have 1000 sections? Did they have so many sections before you upgraded?

As your posts are about a problem following upgrading, I suggest you start a new discussion in the Installing and upgrading help forum.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Problems with course sections since upgrading to 3.5

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

PS Brian, I just came across MDL-62985 which helped me understand how your courses could end up with 1000 sections. If applicable, please comment on the issue or vote for it to be fixed.

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

The reasons for removing the 'numsections' option and + / - controls are explained in MDL-57769 . I can repeat them here:

• It is confusing for the majority of teachers. Also many don't understand that "orphaned" activities are actually available
  • Controls to add/remove section in the bottom of the page are also not user-friendly (MDL-34706), in fact why not allow to insert sections anywhere? (MDL-51221). It is already possible to delete any section
  • It creates problems when importing courses or restoring a course into existing, uploading courses using templates (MDL-56590, MDL-15659) - the records from course_sections get created, activities are imported but numsections is not changed. This results in confusing orphaned activities in the course
When you create a course in weeks/topics format in 3.3 you can still specify the initial number of sections. When you edit the course you can no longer edit the "Number of sections". Instead you can click "Add section" link in the bottom of the course page or you can delete individual sections. 

What you can not do now is:

• create a large number of sections in "bulk" in the existing course.
  • delete a large number of "extra" sections in the end of the course.

I'm not sure I see a clear use case for either of these actions. When you add course contents you have to add it activity by activity, section by section anyway. 

I can see that MDL-58837 is created but I don't see any explanation of why the number of sections control should be brought back.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Marina Glancy

by Jasmin Klindzic -

Hi,

as I have just pointed out in MDL-58837:

The field IS present when you are creating the course, so there is the root of the problem - not technical, but organizational / human / everday one. Creation of courses is done by administrators, not teachers (the setting of default system values is also set by admins). Teachers want to set their own number of sections, especially in HEI environment (like mine), so sometimes it is 10 topics (default value that I have set on my system), sometimes 15 (number of weeks per semester), sometimes it is 23 (I could ask the specific teacher why she wants her course divided into so many sections, but obviously there is a need).

Teachers, not admins, are most affected with the removal of this setting. And teachers must be able to do that easily. Or am I missing something here? + and - commands on the front page of the course is NOT a good solution.

Removal of a feature and then asking end-users: "So, why do you need it back?" is not so good for the production sites that we are running. I will definitely update all my production sites to max 3.2 and stay on it as long as possible because of this "feature". I have dozen questions a week on how to set-up number of weeks/sections from my teachers, and this would definitely be a step in a wrong direction. Have you ever tried to tell a person over the phone:

"Yes, click once, now again. Ok, now once more. Ha-ha, funny, it _WAS_ easier before. Yes, please, another click. And another. Aaaand the last click on icon +. There you go!"

I definitely support re-introduction of this setting ASAP, and if it cannot be included in 3.3 release (obviously), then in 3.3.1 or 3.4. Thank you.

by Jasmin Klindzic -

And just to be clear, I am for the re-introduction of  'numsections' option, while + & - controls should be burned and left in ashes (and this is me being _extremely_ polite).

by Brian Pool -

I completely agree!  I have been running our site since 1.5 and I have NEVER had a teacher have an issue with the previous method!  Our site is now virtually unusable since the upgrade.  Every course has 1000 sections and I can't fix it.

Brian

In reply to Marina Glancy

by Helenmary Jarrott -

Hello,

1. 'Orphaning' and the associated logic and processes have been clearly explained and documented in many, many places for many, many years - as a minimum, since I started using Moodle 2.0 in 2010. 'Some people not knowing about it' isn't a valid reason for removing a feature when 'lots of people do know about it and use it extensively'! 

2. Anything that limits flexibility in quickly organising a course page is a backward step. Deliberately moving the power for ordinary users to quickly adjust the number of course sections for their own courses is something I find almost incomprehensible. And to suggest that 'stealthing' is a replacement for 'orphaning' is also quite baffling. Perhaps the developers have not actually compared user experience of the two modes? I have just spend half an hour double-clicking 40 activities into 'stealth' mode which I would once have been able to 'orphan' in less than 30 seconds.

3. I agree with the person who said, 'Removal of a feature and then asking end-users: "So, why do you need it back?" is not so good... for anyone.

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, I didn't know that this question was going to bring this exciting discussion cool

It is very interesting to see the various arguments, which are all valid.
But it should be based on the user as Jasmin points out (MDL-58837).

The administrator or manager, is more often to take care of creations, restoration.
The teacher is most often led to manage his own space only.

And the managment of the sections belongs to him right, even if it is always possible to provide the creation with a model with x sections, or via the manager of requested restoration in an existing course.
But that would still be, I think, on a case-by-case basis. While the biggest use comes from teachers who set up, themselves, their sections as they see fit...

Sometimes, teacher wants change his course organisation without the admin help, and they have to can do it without a new creation process or a lot of click.

(Sorry if my english is not very clear)

by Jasmin Klindzic -

Well, we should all vote on MDL-58837 and let developers know that this is an important issue, then! It takes few seconds, and it might save us a lot of time and usability afterwards smile

To sum it up: control to the teacher(s)!

Your English is just fine. smile

by Luiggi Sansonetti -

Thanks Jasmin

The last comment (from Vedran) is not bad, like Martin's.

And, yes, the change in file managment system has made admin and facilitators a lot of pain (and a lot of discussion), but today it's "natural".

Yes we (facilitators, admin) have to encourage change; to new praticies. But I stay convinced that the teacher must be able to change the number of sections

Maybe that modifying the backup / restore procedure is very complicated to do, but these are details less meaningful to the teacher than section management.

It's my own opinion.

by Brian Pool -

Completely agree, this was just a poor idea.  I am the sole administrator of an entire school district and can't change the sections on individual courses for all the staff.  As an additional issue, when we upgraded from 3.1 to 3.5 there are now a default of 1000 sections!  I can't change them and the courses take forever to load once you turn editing on.  It works on a new course fine, but somehow the upgrade set them all to maximum and I have no idea how to change them back.  

Assistance would be appreciated.  I can do it all through phpmyadmin if I had some idea what exactly to change.

Brian

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think the solution presented in https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-58837?focusedCommentId=465144&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-465144 adresses and answers your concerns.

Does anybody care to comment Marinas work (here or over in the tracker)?

Thanks a lot.

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Luiggi Sansonetti -

Hi

Done in tracker just now wink

In summary :

Her work is great on prototype and it goes to the teacher way.

And the difference between adding and deleting, humm, I think it's equal.
But not about dev...

If we have the possibility to set how many topics to delete, it may be some mistake with only last sections, with activities or resources.
If we could delete only the empty sections, it will be better, but more difficult to develop
If we have some box to select for each topics to delete, it'll be better I think...

To be continued Yes

Edit : I'm doing some test for backup/restore with activities on prototype

by Jasmin Klindzic -

I have just tested it on prototype site, Marina's solution works! Thank you all for the effort and understanding! smile

And mass deletion or adding of weeks/sections _IS_ equally important to teachers IMO.

by Brian Pool -

But is there no way to delete sections?  Teachers do that on a daily basis as well.

Brian

by Luiggi Sansonetti -

Hi all,

I really would like to thank all those who participated in these exchanges and developments.

Because starting from an improvement that, for me, looked like a regression, we managed to provide the community with a real added value on usability.

Even if there is still the possibility of batch deletion of sections to add to Moodle, I do not despair and I would monitor these advances.

In any case, a great hat-trick to Marina and to those who proposed their point of view.

Cheers.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes. Nice when the system works smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mihir J -

hi

Thanks for the great post.

However, I have one query - in earlier 'Topics' format, we used to make 'Orphaned Activities' section.. like students can;t see the section but it is not hidden also.

That way, any activity in that section can be shown via links/buttons in previous sections.

I think there is no way we can do it in this new change.

Can somebody help me please

thanks!

Mihir

In reply to Mihir J

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - the old orphaned activities is the new Stealth activities. Please see the documentation Stealth activities

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Patrick Viney -

Hi, I'm a little bit confused about the new approach with adding sections (topics)... Is there a way to limit the number of sections that can be added to a course ? It looks like I could add an insane load of sections !

Adding 50 000 000 new sections ???

In reply to Patrick Viney

by Mary Cooch -

I just added 500 sections to a topic course format on our sandbox site - demo.moodle.net. Interesting! Worth further investigation.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carly Born -

Related to the removal of this setting, I'm seeing some inconsistent behavior in our recently upgraded to 3.3 Moodle site.

If I create a course by hand through the UI, it gets the default number of sections (10, in our case) along with the default Weekly format.

However, if I use Upload Courses to create courses en masse, they do not get any sections other than section 0. Most of these courses were actually uploaded before we upgraded, so it's particular strange to me that they are missing sections.

I understand how the database has changed, but I do not understand why courses are getting created differently when using different methods to create them. Is this by design? Or a bug? 

Perhaps not entirely related, I'm also seeing different default blocks for the two types of courses. Courses created by hand (after upgrading to 3.3) are only getting the Navigation and Admin blocks (we are not using Boost or the new flat navigation). However, the courses created by Upload Courses have the regular set of default blocks.  Is this a related problem or perhaps a different issue entirely?

In reply to Carly Born

by Mary Cooch -

Hello. Yes, it's a bug. I reported it here MDL-59262 (the issue refers to course requests but the comments mention that upload courses is also affected).

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carly Born -

Thanks for pointing me to that ticket, Mary, I appreciate it!  I did try to find a ticket before posting, but I haven't often been successful at locating tickets.  I shall vote it up!

In reply to Patrick Viney

by Jörgen Ivarsson -

We just had a support ticket from a teacher that by mistake has added 4002 sections to his course. I could not belive my eyes when I saw the field where you can fill in any number of sections. I guess the techichians will have to see if they can delete all the empty 3053 sections. This is a very bad design and needs fixing. 

In reply to Jörgen Ivarsson

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

It is probably an oversight. There is a bug tracker thread referenced in another post, see if you can add it to that.

In theory, moodle is meant to be customisable. MAYBE the solution is an admin-defined limit to a number of topics you can add at once. e.g. in our place, we'd probably put 45 unless there was a good reason why it should be higher.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am going to reopen this discussion.  While the Add Section ability has been resolved, the delete multiple section ability has not.  Currently I have 30 courses with 10 extra sections in them - as far as I can tell, the only way to delete them is to manually delete each one separately.  I cannot find an entry in the database to change.  At three clicks per section...this will probably take me a few hours to achieve...

Or can someone please point me to the place that this is stored in the database?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Doc Billingsley -

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I'm just noticing it today as I set up a new course in 3.3.  I don't see a quick way to add/delete more than one topic at a time. 

In reply to Doc Billingsley

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can add multiple sections with the plus button at the bottom of the page - it will give you the option to select how many you want to add.  There still appears to be no way to delete multiple sections.

by Meg Goodine -

This looks to be the same in 3.4 as well. I'm not seeing any further activity on this in the tracker since Aug. 10, 17: http://bit.ly/2BpA3R6

I expect this will be hard to explain to our faculty.

by Brian Pool -

Thank you.  All our upgraded courses from 3.1 to 3.5 have 1000 sections!  Every page loads terribly when a teacher turns editing on.

This is a major issue!  The inability to simply go in and set the number of sections for the teachers is making it 1000 administrator responsibility.

Brian

In reply to Brian Pool

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure if the load time has any connection to the number of sections.

But please vote up tracker MDL-59514

<https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-59514> to make it easy for teachers

to delete multiple unwanted sections. This is really important, as Moodle

HQ says they will only put back this feature if a lot of people really want

it. Even if you decide that Moodle is ultimately not the right choice for

you personally, I would appreciate your vote!

You might also look at MDL-62534

<https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-62534>, although I suspect that is

not quite your issue.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM, Brian Pool (via Moodle.org) <
In reply to Sharon Strauss

by Brian Pool -

It DEFINITELY is the number of sections!

I was able to fix it by doing a backup, selecting none, and then going through and selecting the 23 sections I did want.  It was a pain, but the restore over the existing class only had 23 sections.  Now it loads just like before.  Apparently something on some upgrade had the 1003 sections back when we were on 3.1 as well, but since the section # was set to 23, I never saw them.  In the new (post 3.3) it loads every section, not just the visible ones. 

Brian

Ats.: Set number of sections course in Moodle 3.3

by Danutė Pranckutė -

Totally agree Luiggi, it's too  complicated to administer. Always appear teachers who trying to experiment and the result is 33185 topics in a course!!!.

What the hell? How do I get the course and delete those topics? It's so unbearable... sad Why does the system make it possible to create so many topics? And why "Maximum number of sections" not working as protection for to many topics?

In reply to Danutė Pranckutė

Re: Ats.: Set number of sections course in Moodle 3.3

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers

Ditto!

Is there a Tracker for removing sections?