I can't get pass site.php

I can't get pass site.php

by Pine Me -
Number of replies: 17
Hello, everyone. I just finished installing the lastest Moodle on Centos 4.1 with Apache2 + php 4 + mysql 4.x. Everything seemed to go fine until it got the admin/site.php. I entered the site info and hit save changes. It brought me right back to site.php blanking out all the filled-in info. I tried several times. Also restarted apache a couple times. I tried to access the site at its root http://ipaddress/moodle. It took me right to site.php. I did search for doc & faq. I didn't come across any solution yet. I don't have any clue anymore. Please help. Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pine Me

Re: I can't get pass site.php

by Thomas Haynes -

Greetings...

Is the path to the moodledata directory correct in config.php? Can you write to it?

Check these two items and make sure they are not the problem.

Regards...   Tom

In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Pine Me -
Thanks, Tom for your reply. I checked the path to moodledata in the config.php & the apache user permissions (read & write). All looked good. I actually gave 777 to apache user on moodledata. It did not seem to help. I looked into the httpd logs. There were pear-related , css errors. The php-pear package was installed. I will have to spend more time to debug those errors. PM
In reply to Pine Me

by Thomas Haynes -
PM...

I am puzzled. I have Moodle installed on ClarkConnect 3.0 (a variant of Fedora Core 2). I am using Apache 2, php4 and mysql 4.1.X. It was all pretty routine to set up, and I don't remember anything unusual.

I hope someone else can suggest a solution for you.

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Gyorgy Szentgyorgyi -

Hello everybody,

I’m quite new here and I think I make things a bit worse now. I have more or less the same problem. When I tried to install Moodle on my machine before moving it into my site I came across an other variant of this problem:
when I hit the Save Changes button during the installation process on the Site Settings page it just comes back with the message that the site.php doesn’t exist.
I use the latest Moodle + latest PHP + latest MySQL + IIS on my laptop.

So it’s not Apache, it’s something else.

Regards: George

In reply to Pine Me

by Christopher Cowley -

I am having exactly the same problem, Using win server 2003, latest php, latest mysql, latest moodle. I note suggestions on path and writing rights to moodledata folder. I will check these.

Regards Chris Cowley

In reply to Christopher Cowley

Re: I can't get past site.php

by Christopher Cowley -

I have checked, double checked and treble checked, path to moodledata and write permissions to moodledata are in order using the the IUSR_Machinename and justabout any other user I can think of, including Everyone. what is wrong here, is it this latest version of Moodle?

Chris Cowley

In reply to Christopher Cowley

by Mike Cameron -

Just like to echo that I am having exactly the same problem. Win2K, IIS, PHP5.1.1, MYSQL 5.0

Have checked all permissions (even given everybody full control). Will not get past site.php

After pressing continue, browser (IE6) gives "Page not found" with site.php in address bar.

Will keep trying!

Mike

In reply to Mike Cameron

by Mike Cameron -

Ok, this works.

Open the MY.INI file (its in the MYSQL folder under program files)

find the line

sql-mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

edit it to read

sql-mode="NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

Stop and Start the MYSQL service.

Don't know what knock on effects this might create, and I changed the MY.IN back after install.

Mike

In reply to Mike Cameron

by andy choo -

Hi i'm rather new to programing n database.. May I know how to locate the file MY.INI n hw i can edit it?

Thanks alotsmile

In reply to Mike Cameron

by John Ridge -
I am having exactly the same problem/ loop.
I'm running Mac OS 10.4, up to date stable MySQL, Apache, Moodle.
No problem finding a/the MySQL folder, but cannot find a MY.INI file. If anyone knows where on the Mac I should look for it, I would be most grateful.

John
In reply to John Ridge

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If Mac OS 10.4 is the same as Mac OSX (I don't know for sure, I don't use Macs), then you should look for a file called my.cnf (as in other Unices).

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by John Ridge -
Thanks for that. Mac OS 10.4 is the same as Mac OSX.
My latest problem:
In order to get past site.php I need to edit my.cnf.
my.conf is in usr/local/mysql/data/
However, the data folder is locked.
sudo pico (or similar) produces permission denied.
Does anyone know how I can gain access to the data folder to change the my.cnf file, or does anyone know a different workaround to the site.php problem?
Thanks
John
In reply to John Ridge

by Thomas Robb -
Does "root" have a password yet? su or sudo won't work until you have set one. Take a look at this article:

http://www.spy-hill.com/~myers/help/apple/EnableRoot.html
In reply to Thomas Robb

by John Ridge -
Yes root has a password. I have used it a fair bit recently.
I have tried reinstalling mysql and changing permissions, (sudo chown -R mysql data/) but, no luck.

thanks
John
In reply to Mike Cameron

by Grandon Gill -

This also works to solve the same problem on the latest Moodle + latest PHP + latest MySQL + Apache on my desktop, which runs under Windows XP Pro.

Thanks! 

In reply to Pine Me

another occurrence

by Markus Strobl -

I had the same problem now. My Internet-Server uses Windows 2000, ISA-Server 2000 and IIS, latest mysql and latest moodle

It seems to be a very strange problem!!!!

but the solution of mike cameron was also helpful for me.

Shall I use the new my.ini from now on (after the installation) or the original one???