Converting innoDB tables to Barracuda

Re: Converting innoDB tables to Barracuda

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

in moodle 3.1.1, this is not error, this is recommendation - errors are in red color, warnings and recommendations in amber/orange. As Bret mentioned and I can confirm, shared hosting wont have options of variables change in phpmyAdmin, you can start your moodle on current hosting package, as when you grow, get a VPS/Dedicated - This is most ideal path unless you are setting up for a large audience in hand already, in which case they will be investing in dedicated anyway.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Lon Mathias -

Thanks so much for the reply- I know you must be inundated with questions about 3.3

Do you think installing 3.2.1 and then upgrading will circumvent the install killer for Barracuda? I really like the new theme in 3.3 and would love to use it (I think that’s the theme offered at MoodleCloud.com). I signed up for a free website at moodlecloud.com and it’s so much easier to use than the commercial LMS I bought called Eduma which incorporates learnpress. I like learnpress although the biggest problem with this wordpress theme is that pages are hidden and can’t easily be found. My own website (pslc.ws) was hand-coded and I know enough html, css and js to make most things work fine. Does Moodle allow easy access to pages for modification or do you have to use the “edit” interfaces?

Thanks again.

LJM
In reply to Lon Mathias

by Lon Mathias -

On a further note, it was suggested to circumvent the 3.3 Barracuda requirement (which won't happen at Bluehost or any other shared hosting provider, I understand) by installing version 3.1.4 or earlier, or 3.2.1. Neither of these is available at moodle.org that I can find. Help?

Lon

In reply to Lon Mathias

by Usman Asar -

Lon, I assume you're referring to Boost theme? then it is available since version 3.2, so installing 3.2 will let you use that as well, I am not recommending 3.1.5+ or 3.2.2+ as both these in addition to any newer ones will require Barracuda conversion.

anyway, you'll find all old releases here

For moodle 3.1.x : https://download.moodle.org/stable31/

for moodle 3.2.x: https://download.moodle.org/stable32/

If you're after Boost theme, then 3.2 it will be , but may be 3.2.1 will work only without conversion to Barracuda.

Regarding your query for editing pages, regardless of interface, editing pages/activities remains the same so even if you have to use some other theme, editing documents/pages is as easy as it can be in any theme.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Lon Mathias -

Thanks again, Usman. Not clear on which 3.2 will work without Barracuda: 3.2 or 3.2.1?

Why are the links to these older versions not available on moodle.org site? Couldn't find them using simple search...

Lon

In reply to Lon Mathias

by Lon Mathias -

Forgot to ask: since I'll actually be downgrading the version I have installed at Bluehost, do I simply delete the entire folder and start over or is there an uninstall procedure?

Lon

In reply to Lon Mathias

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

To downgrade, you will need to restore both the database and moodledata from backups taken prior to the upgrade and then follow the same process as an upgrade but with the older version of the code.  Copy over your plugins and config.php and then you can delete the 3.3 folder.

In reply to Lon Mathias

by Just H -

"Why are the links to these older versions not available on moodle.org site?"

In reply to Lon Mathias

by Usman Asar -

As I recall, it was required since version 3.2.2+ (not 3.2.2) so anything equal to 3.2.2 (and not 3.2.2+) and earlier in 3.2.x

as of 3.1.x, it was required from 3.1.5+, so 3.1.5 or earlier would work.

absolutely no idea why aren't the links available directly to older versions, as long as I find what i am looming for, I usually don't complain smile  but you're right, a link MUST be available together with current ones.

As for installation, if you haven't started working on it already, I would recommend a fresh install (deleting Database, moodle folder and as well as moodledata folder) ---> DO NOT use mojo marketplace to install moodle.

Also, I dot know if you're on Standard/business shared hosting or Cloud, the clouds have additional something called "cache", can be found in performance tab, do turn that off and flush cache's before installation, once you're ready with your Moodle (in terms of setting it up and installing plug-ins) you can turn that ON safely.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Lon Mathias -

Update: I was using a folder on my main site the my site name was directed to. I renamed that folder, made a new one with the old name and downloaded version 3.2.1. Had some fiddling to do with the database (which had nothing in it since the 3.3 install failed) and had to reload the install page, but then got everything to set up correctly. Great news: it works! and without the Barracuda conversion. So for now I'll stay with this version and work on some courses.

Thanks for all you help, people, couldn't have done it without.

Lon