Moodle temporarily slow (2-5 minutes to load) when accessing admin area

Moodle temporarily slow (2-5 minutes to load) when accessing admin area

by José Melo -
Number of replies: 9

Hello there,

I installed the most recent version of moodle and everything runs smoothly except that, sometimes, when I click a link related to the admin area, moodle will keep on loading for around 2-5 minutes. Accessing my moodle main address through another tab will also display the loading icon for around the same time. It then starts working suddenly on both tabs.

What could be happening?

I'm not sure what kind of addition info you may need, but let me know and I'll provide!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Clicking "Notifications" is a 90% certain moodle-freeze.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to José Melo

Re: Moodle temporarily slow (2-5 minutes to load) when accessing admin area

by José Melo -

If I restart my browser, it loads the main moodle page. However, if I click the admin area, it will keep on loading again indefinitely. Navigating through moodle normally without going to the admin area works fine.

In reply to José Melo

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

José, how is your server setup? is it shared host or private server?

share a bit more about your setup to get pin pointed assistance. as in O/S, DB etc.

In reply to Usman Asar

by José Melo -

I cannot specify what kind of server is because it's a private one and is externally hosted. What I can tell you so far is that everything is ok in the performance tab of the admin panel... I've sent the server providers the link to optimize performance (from moodle) and they said it's been done. But the problem persists.

In reply to José Melo

by Usman Asar -

But surely you can tell which moodle version is it? as per your claim everything is OK in performance tab which doesn't tells whole lot, check Server > Environment and see if opcache is enabled, that will reduce your time to much extent, depending on your moodle version, you may have to adjust file caching from 4000 (2.7 - 2.9) to 8000 (3.0 onwards), and that environment will as well tell you which PHP version you're using.

In reply to Usman Asar

by José Melo -

Hello again,

I meant the environment tab - everything is OK in the environment tab. The moodle version is 3.2.2.

I attached a screenshot of the environment tab, perhaps it'll answer your questions?

Thanks for helping out!

Attachment Untitled-1.jpg
In reply to José Melo

by Usman Asar -

Hi, can you as  well attach your php.ini file output? with opcache turned on your moodle site should be instant to load, but then memory allocation to PHP scripts by your ISP may be less or your server drives slow.

which hosting provider it is?  can you send me dump of your DB, and zip of moodle and moodledata folders to test on my server to see if something is limiting it?

In reply to Usman Asar

by José Melo -

Hello again! It's a private company / local hosting server, the guy has a super machine though. He says it might either be 1. external links not working or 2. badware injection. But to be honest I think it's something related to the server itself. May I remind: everything works really fast (even uploading files), except when entering the admin panel (5-10 minutes loading).

I can send you my moodle files and DB, but to be honest it's just a brand new installed moodle. Wouldn't it be better if I gave you the URL, admin user and password so that you can see the problem?

Remind me where is the php.ini file?

In reply to José Melo

by Usman Asar -

Hello getting username / password for moodle admin wont be any good, as it only gives access to front end, where issue lies at the back-end, but surely I would like to have a test as I want to see which plug-ins you actually have as additional, sometimes additional plug-in messes up moodle too. Send me moodle credentials in private message.

Also, how have you installed your moodle? manual install or through script installer? (softaculous/fantastico)?

uploading and rest are not all CPU dependent, but opening menus, fetching from DB are, so essentially the CPU or RAM resources must have been VERY limited.

Have you tried from difference browser?

In reply to Usman Asar

by José Melo -

Message sent.

It was manual install. During the "endless loading" of the page, the hosting admin said the CPU was at 3% and RAM also being very little used... And yes, this is happening on both Firefox and Chrome.