Questionnaire loading issue

Questionnaire loading issue

by Ahmed Aly -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Everyone,

Wishing you a great day, I need your support with the following issue I'm currently facing with the questionnaire plugin. I'm currently administrating Moodle at our company, where we are using the plugin to evaluate all our running training classes on a daily basses. I came across this particular issue, where one of our surveys have reached more than 8000 responses. which resulted that we are no longer able to to view responses. once anyone attempts to check the Survey results and clicks on View ALL Responses option. Moodle attempts to load the page however its fails to display any data. but it works just fine if any trainee attempted the survey or if we attempted to extract the data and download it via TXT file.

This issue did not occur with any other survey. the most answered survey after this one, only have around 3300 Responses at the time of this post and once i select View All Responses Moodle displays all data just fine.

We backed up our server and i have updated the Plugin to the latest release "3.0.3 Build-2017032900- released on 29th of March 2017" that compatible with our Moodle version 3.0. and still the issue is still available.

right now I'm not sure what casing this particular issue, is its some sort of a limitation where the plugin is unable to handle too much data at the same time or it is issue with Moodle itself. I found a temporary work around to help Moodle to display the available analysis:

• Choose Non-respondents under Administration Tab with the survey main page.
  • Choose any group name from the drop-down menu.
  • Choose View all responses from the administration tab again and Moodle will display the available survey results for the selected group only.
  • it will work fine as long as we select group by group from the separate group drop-down menu, but the issue will be triggered once we select All Participants.

I'm sorry for long post, but right now it is kinda pain, where multiple people at our company are trying to access the survey results and they are facing the same issue. and I'm not sure how fix this issue. should we upgrade Moodle itself to the latest version ? which will require some testing on another backup server to make sure everything is working fine and stable without losing or corrupting our data before we upgrade our main server. Or is it an issue with the questionnaire plugin and could be solved via an update ?

Best Regards,
Ahmed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ahmed Aly

Re: Questionnaire loading issue

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It sounds like a resource limitation; either a memory limit or an execution limit.

Can you enable full debugging and see if any message comes up?

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Ahmed Aly -

After Enabling full debugging mode and reloading the questionnaire, i received the following message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 75 bytes) in /var/www/html/moodle/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 1084

i checked the available memory that is assigned for php database, via site administration/server/performance and i found that it was set to 1024 MB, i increased it to 2048 MB, but it did not fix the issue.

yours,

Ahmed

In reply to Ahmed Aly

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You need to increase the amount of memory PHP is allowed to use. It sounds like its set to the default (128MB).

You do this in your "php.ini" file. Look for the line "memory_limit = 128MB" and increase it. Try doubling it first. Remember to restart your web server after doing this.

mike