Problem anonymous grade quiz and view grade reports

Problem anonymous grade quiz and view grade reports

by Anna Glarner -
Number of replies: 5

Hi!

I am trying to make a quiz where I want the teachers involved in the course to anonymous grade the students.

The quiz will have five essay questions with file submission. The reason for a quiz and not assignment is that I would like to use safe exam browser so my students only have access to the questions and the software needed to solve the questions.

When testing I set the permissions according to 1, 2 and 3 in the picture below. Saying in English that I removed teachers to be able to see students names, idnumbers and view the quiz report.

When downloading the students submitted files I get the message

Sorry, the requested file could not be found”

More information about this error

If an administrator instead logs in they see the students but can download the students’ submitted files. What is wrong? If teachers are allowed to view the grader report they can download the students’ submitted files. Is this a bug or is it problems with the permissions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anna Glarner

Re: Problem anonymous grade quiz and view grade reports

by Anna Glarner -

The problem occurs both in Moodle 3.0 and 3.2

In reply to Anna Glarner

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you tried giving permission to see the quiz reports?  I think that that is probably what is stopping them downloading the file.

I am not sure how the safe exam browser helps if they are uploading a file...don't they need to open another program to create the file they are uploading?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In 2.8, we could just turn off the permissions to see student identity/name in the quiz, to have it anonymous for grading essay questions and submitted files.

But in 3.0 that was not enough. 

We removed the permissions quiz/grading:viewidnumber and quiz/grading:viewstudentnames, but the student name was still visible in the Statistiscs and Manual Grading pages. When we also removed mod/quiz:viewreports we finally got the required anonymity also on those pages.

But, instead we got the problem with graders not being able to download submitted files in anonymous quizzes, as described in the post above.

This is the same in our 3.2+ test environment.

I guess this is a bug, I don't think it is reported in the tracker. The bug must be that the students names are still shown in the reports and in the Manual Grading page even when permissions quiz/grading:viewidnumber and quiz/grading:viewstudentnames are removed.

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I suggest you report it as a bug- definitely seems like an unforeseen outcome to some sort of improvement they thought they were making!  If you post the tracker id here, I will be sure to vote for it.  Maybe Tim has a fix in the meantime?