Quiz module: one to one sets auto building multiple choice from other answers

Quiz module: one to one sets auto building multiple choice from other answers

by Nelson Bartley -
Number of replies: 4

Okay, so hopefully the title was clear but I'll explain.

I am hoping to expand my schools moodle use by enabling basically a form of flashcard practiving, where we have a set of words and translations (or words and example sentences) which are setup one to one. The quiz module would select a from a quiz bank of these types (1-1) and randomly generate the a/b/c/d from other answers in the bank (obviously including the correct answer). 

This would not be for testing, but student practice and repetition. Obviously student evaluation would require a more refined selection of choices to ensure item validity. 

Is there currently a way to use the existing quiz modules like this, or perhaps a plugin with similar features that could be installed? 

If not, I could possibly make it myself if I knew which quiz module would be best to start modifying for this task.

Moodle 3.2.2

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nelson Bartley

Re: Quiz module: one to one sets auto building multiple choice from other answers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are two parts to this:

1. Randomly generate lots of questions.
  2. Build a quiz that picks random questions.

Part 2) is easy, using the add Random question feature on the Edit quiz page. (Or, even better, use https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_qpractice.)

For part 1. there are basically two approaches. You could use a Moodle plugin like https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Glossary_export_to_quiz (which makes quiz questions from glossary entries.)

Or, simpler, but more manual. You could produce a large file of questions (e.g. in https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Aiken_format) and just import that into the question bank.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Quiz module: one to one sets auto building multiple choice from other answers

by Nelson Bartley -

Okay, mod_qpractice looks inline with how I want the students to use the system. I was going to do it with the standard quiz but this looks easier.

As for part 1), Export to quiz exports a fix set where the distracters are fixed. What I was hoping was a way for the quiz module to automatically randomize the distracters every time. The goal being I don't want the distracters to be the same every time as even with randomization to the distracters, practicing the same question repeatedly will still result in list effect problems which I am trying to avoid.

In reply to Nelson Bartley

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not a big fan of randomising distractors. I am not a fan of Multiple choice at all, really, but good multiple choice questions tend to need carefully chosen distractors that are the mistakes that a student is actually likely to make.

So I think it is enough just to generate a lot of different questions with fixed distractors, and use that set. You don't need every possible variant of one right answer, with all possible combinations of distractors. Just randomly generate a sample with logs of variants. The efficient way to do this would be an offline script that generates a file that you then import into Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)