Problem with new installation of Moodle on IIS 8.5 (Windows Server 2012 R2)

Problem with new installation of Moodle on IIS 8.5 (Windows Server 2012 R2)

by Pawel Czarnota -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I am brand new to Moodle, so excuse my ignorance if I ask for details on where to find log files, etc. I managed to install Moodle on Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS 8.5. I followed all instructions on installing and configuring PHP (I am using version 5.6.30) and IIS (https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Internet_Information_Services), and made sure that the URL rewriting is set up according to instructions. I also added slashargument to php.ini file and run the Optional UTF-8 file name fix registry fix. Additionally, I enabled debugging in Site Administration -> Development -> Debugging

The issue I am seeing is a ajax error on every page (after I log in to Moodle). The error shows up as a inpage popup. All it says is undefined and there is no extra debugging information (see screenshot below). 

When I open Developer tools in my browser, I can see that what is actually failing is the jquery POST action (see second screenshot below, I blanked server name from the screenshot):

I think this is caused by incorrect IIS handling of the URLs (just a hunch, I could be wrong), since when I remove the IIS URL rewrite rule, I get the error more often. Also, if I add the same URL rewrite rule to both inbound and outbound rules, couple errors seem to go away, but unfortunately the functionality of the menus is broken (they simply don't work). At this point, I don't know what else to check other than ask for community's help on this one. Please let me know what additional information you need to help me resolve this issue. Thank you and I appreciate everyone's time. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pawel Czarnota

Re: Problem with new installation of Moodle on IIS 8.5 (Windows Server 2012 R2)

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Pawel, You dont need to use url rewrite (unless need be) or slash arguments since Server 2008 R2,  please start from scratch, I have a full moodle installation tutorial on windows server 2012 R2 starting from absolute scratch HERE. You wont be likely asking for additional help after watching that video(s).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Pawel Czarnota -

Thanks Asar, I'll start again and let you know the results. 

In reply to Pawel Czarnota

by Pawel Czarnota -

Just reporting back. I have reinstalled using php 7.0 and now don't get any errors. Thanks for the tip to use PHP version 7 instead of 5.6