You can only restore front page backups on the front page

You can only restore front page backups on the front page

by J Guzman -
Number of replies: 21

Greetings!

I created a new 3.2 installation on Windows server 2016 and now  I want to start importing/restoring the courses from the old 1.9.19 box.  All seem to be fine, except that at the end of the restoring process,  I get the "You can only restore front page backups on the front page" error.  I did not back up the course from the old box's frontage, but I went into the course and then select backup.

I tried to look for restore options in the front page in my new 3.2 box, but I see nothing.

Any guidance is appreciated in advance.

J.G.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to J Guzman

Re: You can only restore front page backups on the front page

by J Guzman -

Ok, after playing with it, it works now.  I did nothing special but try multiple times.  However, I am now trying to upload a bigger file (700mb) and it just stays "spinning" (see below screen).

I have set the max_upload size to 2GB and the max_post to 3GB.

Much appreciated any guidance

J. Guzman

Attachment spinning.JPG
In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you back up without user data?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by J Guzman -

Hi Emma!

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I backed up with no user data.  I did notice that small courses are able to restore.  I have been able to restore 2, but the sizes are 2-3 mb.

J.Guzman

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you restart apache after making the upload size changes?  You might also look at your timeouts in php.ini and extend them.  I think that they default to 30 seconds - I normally put them out to 360.

by J Guzman -

I did restart the IIS server everytime I did changes to the PHP and to the mysql server.  I also set the timeouts in IIS for 1.5h.  I will take a look to the php.

by J Guzman -

I am now getting the error connecting to database.  At least its  something.  I think it may be mysql related although I have elevated the max file size in my.ini to 800m.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks for your guidance

J.Guzman

Attachment error.JPG
In reply to J Guzman

by J Guzman -

After playing around, I'd noticed that any size bigger than 26 or 27 MB gies the error above.

Im looking all the "ini" files tat I can think of, but I see nothing that can point me to the correct path.  I know its something simple, I just need to find it lol.  smile

thanks in advance

J.Guzman

In reply to J Guzman

by Michael Rhodes -

You hit the nail on the head - there is a setting in IIS (Request Filtering) that limits file transfer to about 26 mb.  If you go into IIS and double-click Request Filtering - then click on 'Edit Feature Settings' in the action panel - you should see 'Maximum allowed content length (Bytes). I set mine to 1073741824  (which works out to 1G).  I know this is a reply on an old post - but I hope that helps anyone who might come across it.

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -

I missed that you are on windows so not sure the php.ini is applicable as you are using iis.  Error connecting to server is normally a timeout or something.  Can you post your php info from the page in Site Admin/Server/Php info?

by J Guzman -

Thank you Emma.

Sorry for the hassles.  Just FYI, this happens with any file I want to upload, regardless if im using the restore or private files

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -

The only thing I noticed is max_input_time could be raised maybe...you might try a different browser...clear the caches in Moodle...are you on the same network as the server?  

by J Guzman -

Thanks for the reply Emma.

I am in the same network the server is, in fact, I was doing the upload from the server. I will try from a different computer/browser and elevate the max_input_time.

Thanks for the input

J.Guzman

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -

Report back.

by J Guzman -

sad

frustrating.   No changes.  I used different browser ND JACKED UP max_input_time TO 360.  

J.Guzman

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -

Server reboot?  Did you clear caches?  I am about out of ideas...is it still working with smaller files...

by J Guzman -

I found this on a website.  Do you think is feasible?

1. Establish an FTP connection. 
2. Navigate to the corresponding course folder (e.g. /home/user/uploaddata/2 - each folder number corresponds to a certain course).
3. Upload the course backup archive in that folder using your favorite FTP client
4. Log in to Moodle as administrator. 
5. Go to the corresponding course. 
6. Go to "Restore" 
7. Navigate to the desired file and click "Restore".

If it is,  since I am in the same network,  can I copy/paste the file to the right directory on the moodle server?

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -

You could set up a folder on your server and make it accessible from Moodle.  Then add it as a repository and try adding it that way.

You're not out of hard drive space are you?

Oh, have we turned debugging on?  That might tell us exactly what is going on...

by J Guzman -

The machines are brand new, with plenty of space.  I have web portion on one server and Mysql on another server. (with max transfer changed to 800m).  I will enable the debugger, but where do I look for the debug" file to share it with you?

J.Guzman

In reply to J Guzman

by Emma Richardson -

Just send it to html and then screenshot the page.  That way we are getting the relevant logs.

This could also be a firewall issue maybe?  

by J Guzman -

Hi Emma,

I will end up reinstalling all again.  I Purged all the caches and I think I screw something because the site crashed and them came back all distorted and dysfunctional.  it it what it is.

J.G.

by Dean Castaldo -

I am trying to restore a course backup from a 2.9 ver to a 3.3 ver. I am getting You can only restore front page backups on the front page when I make it to the process section. 

Any ideas. I did not inlcued users from backup nor the data