General developer forum

How to duplicate the quiz module to mod it?

Picture of Robert 2017

I want to use the quiz module instead of the lesson module because I can import external content via xml and because the cloze question type is not present in the lesson module. 

However, students confusion has been reported and admin doesn't like that, so I want to mod the quiz module so that all the quizzy stuff is removed such as the intro page, question headers etc . 

This should be easy, but the hard thing is getting started. 

Average of ratings: -
Sketch...
Re: How to duplicate the quiz module to mod it?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

What is confusing your students about the Quiz module?

Removing the "quizzy stuff" from the Quiz module sounds crazy. What will you be left with?

And the Quiz module is a big and complex bit of code. Are you willing to maintain a "fork" of it going forward?

Picture of Robert 2017
Re: How to duplicate the quiz module to mod it?

Students get confused by the fact that when you click on a "lesson quiz" you see the "summary of previous attempts" page, then when you start a new attempt, it says 'quiz navigtion' on the left, and 'question number' in a block at the top left of each "lesson question". Also, in the main page they see the quiz icon next to the "lesson quiz". Personally, I think students can cope with this once it's been explained to them, but school management don't like this, and they're pretty heavy handed and inflexible when it comes to deviations from their idea of how the UI should work. 

Modding these things out is pretty simple. All you have to do is change some text and delete, jump over, or comment out, some unimportant display code. I've already done some of the work in a moodle install I set up for experimenting with. It's easy. 

What's hard is figuring out how to create a new module from the existing one.