Moodle not adding cumulative scores with SCORM package

Moodle not adding cumulative scores with SCORM package

by Colman McLaughlin -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,
Our  Server Environment and other information: The version of Moodle running  is Moodle 1.5.3, it is running on Windows 2003 IIS 6, running php 4.3.11. In order to make SCORM courses run on IIS, the isapirewrite program was used ( available here
http://www.isapirewrite.com/download/isapi_rwl_0056.msi <http://www.isapirewrite.com/download/isapi_rwl_0056.msi>  ) The neccesary configuration for isapirewrite is contained in its 'httpd.ini' file. The line below was added to this file:
RewriteRule (.*?\.php)(\/.+) $1\?file=$2 [N,I].
So, we have Moodle 'up and running' and working fine generally.

Problem with a third-party package we received: Courseware includes a test (already tested and compliant within a proprietary CLIX environment)
I set it up in Moodle and set the grading method to: 'Set to Scoes Situation'. (Have also tested it with 'Highest Grade' and 'Average Grade'. Same result as described below).

Upon selecting the zipped scorm-compliant package for this SCORM Module, I get an error-message dialog Box: 'WARNING: The Tracking Data of this Package will be lost!'

When I do the course, it works fine - if I do all of the test in one sitting. However, if I exit the course and go back in to complete anther section, Moodle does not retain/aggregate my score from the previous visit(s). Begins again at zero every time I re-enter. So, does not add cumulative scores/not aggregating properly. Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Do I need to post the mainfest file?

Thank you,
Colmán

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colman McLaughlin

Re: Moodle not adding cumulative scores with SCORM package

by Andrew Hu -
If the students score is recorded in the LMS using cmi.core.score it is entered as a single element in the scoes_tracking table so essentially gets overwritten every time. If you want highest lowest scores you need to have your courseware write the score to cmi.score.min, cmi.score.max.
Alternatively if the courseware is writing each question out as an interaction cmi.interactions.n.id the index of the interaction is restarted from zero every instantiation. So Question 1 might have been stored as cmi.interactions.0."Q_1" and all the Q1 students results as cmi.interactions.0.learner_response, cmi.interactions.0.type etc. On reentry the student results for the scorm will start at index 0 and overwrite them.
What we do is store the attempts in cmi.suspend_data and increment the index on each entry and only write out index values in the current session.
In reply to Andrew Hu

by Colman McLaughlin -

Andrew,

Many thanks for the reply and pardon my stupidity as I'm new to Moodle and have, as yet, a very limited understanding of its functionality. If you could spare a few moments to answer the questions below, that would great:

So, practically, what do I do; what changes do I need to make; what files do I need to edit to make this package work?

Colmán

by Andrew Hu -
I don't believe this is a moodle issue but rather it's the courseware and the way it sends requests to moodle and the scorm api.
We had similar issues moving scorm across to moodle as we were using a pre-scorm 1.2 data element to store attempts, the courseware was scorm compliant when it was written just not with the SCORM 1.2.
Do you have access to the source code of your SCORM?

In reply to Andrew Hu

by Colman McLaughlin -

Andrew,

The only file in which I I could find a reference to 'cmi.suspend_data' was scorm.js. So, I have attached this.
Thanks,
Colmán

by Andrew Hu -
This is the correct code. It is storing all your results in suspend data. As Admin or teacher try clicking on the SCORM in the course section, This gives you the SCORM play page. In the top right hand corner should be "View results for n attempts". Click on this and then click on the time/score of one of the attempts to give the detailed report which should show cmi.suspend_data = all your scorm data including the score result for each page in each attempt.
The way the "score" for the scorm is written through cmi.score and viewable in grades is written means it overwrites this value every attempt.
What scores/data do you expect to see?
In reply to Andrew Hu

by Colman McLaughlin -

Andrew,
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. The point about this courseware is that it allows the user to take it (the test) in more than one sitting, if they so desire. I did the test in the manner suggested by you in the previous mail and checked 'View reports' after each exit and prior to re-entry. For four attempts/sesssions, please see details below. My expectation would have been that Moodle would have aggregated the score and that each time I re-entered, the aggregated/updated score would appear in the Left Hand 'frame'. Perhaps I have not been sufficiently clear about my expectations. However, I would like the users to see their aggregate score upon re-entry, as they might think: 'Hold on a minute, I have scored more than that!'
Colmán

1st Session
Entered the course, did some questions, exited and reselected the course and clicked on 'View reports for 1 Attempt' and details are as below

Colman McLaughlin
00:01:32.00
Score: 13
cmi.core.exit => suspend
cmi.core.lesson_location => 011.html
cmi.core.lesson_status => incomplete
cmi.core.score.max => 100
cmi.core.score.raw => 13
cmi.core.session_time => 0000:00:26.00
cmi.core.total_time => 00:00:26.00

2nd Session and reenter at correct bookmark automatically created:

LH Frame carries the following message: Course structure
Independence: Test (Client-facing)
 Independence: Test (Client-facing) (Score: 13, achieved from the previous session) 

I did some more questions, exited and reselected the course and clicked on 'View reports for 1 Attempt' and details are as below (not 2 attempts as it should be)

Colman McLaughlin
00:01:47.00
Score: 3

cmi.core.exit => suspend
cmi.core.lesson_location => 018.html
cmi.core.score.raw => 3
cmi.core.session_time => 0000:01:21.00
cmi.core.total_time => 00:01:47.00

3rd Session and reenter at correct bookmark automatically created:
LH Frame carries the following message: Course structure
Independence: Test (Client-facing)
 Independence: Test (Client-facing) (Score: 3, achieved from the previous session) 

I did some more questions, exited and reselected the course and clicked on 'View reports for 1 Attempt' and details are as below (not 3 attempts as it should be)

Colman McLaughlin
 00:02:06.00
Score: 13

cmi.core.exit => suspend
cmi.core.lesson_location => 007.html
cmi.core.score.raw => 13
cmi.core.session_time => 0000:00:19.00
cmi.core.total_time => 00:02:06.00

4th Session and reenter at correct location on test (where I previously exited):
LH Frame carries the following message: Independence: Test (Client-facing)
Independence: Test (Client-facing) (Score: 13, achieved from the previous session)

I did some more questions, exited and reselected the course and clicked  on 'View reports for 1 Attempt' and details are as below (not 4 attempts as it should be)

Colman McLaughlin
00:03:08.00
Score: 19

cmi.core.exit => suspend
cmi.core.lesson_location => 025.html
cmi.core.score.raw => 19
cmi.core.session_time => 0000:01:02.00
cmi.core.total_time => 00:03:08.00

by Andrew Hu -
Easy parts first,
Attempt count is correct because this is the admin/teacher view and attemp number refers to all user attempts, a class view if you like not individual attempts - this is under activity reports for user.
There is no cmi.suspend_data in your detailed reports though the scorm.js seems to have the code to write it. This suspend data looks like it should append the previous session data to the current suspend data in scormSetSuspendData() at line 150 when the user exits and the SCO Status is incomplete. cmi.core.exit is being set correctly to "suspend" so the failure seems to be in this function scormSetSuspendData.
Have you also set SCORM "Grading Method" to Sum?