1and1 hosting and aspell

1and1 hosting and aspell

de David Brighton -
Número de respuestas: 4
Is this the right foprum to ask about aspell in the editor?

I am using 1and1 (the UK version, but I am told all features are worldwide). They do not have aspell installed, not likely to do it either, so I was wondering if anyone had experience of getting aspell working on a hosted package with them? I have heard you can do it through ssh access and I could upgrade us to a BusinessPro package that offers SSH (and cron as well), how easy is it to get aspell going using ssh? Any comments or thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Promedio de valoraciones: -
En respuesta a David Brighton

Re: 1and1 hosting and aspell

de Andi Ye -

I haven't come across 'aspell' before, and its home web site has to qualify as one of the most inaccessible I've ever seen.  Judging by the demo on the 'aspell' site, they haven't even got it to work themselves.

But the readme file indicates, and the source files suggest, that it needs a C++ compiler to build, and superuser access to install.  And then, in the case of using it with PHP, it requires that PHP is compiled with the --with-pspell[=dir] option (supported by procuring appropriate libraries).  In One&One terms, that implies nothing less than a root server contract.  Unless you have an experienced systems administrator in your employ, I would not recommend pursuing this product.

I note while typing this e-mail that even the moodle.org installation of Moodle doesn't support the spell-check.  Might I suggest a client-side alternative, that the Google Toolbar has a multi-language spell-check function which will successfully check documents in the Moodle editor?  Just a thought.

En respuesta a Andi Ye

de Julian Whitehead -
I would love to see a client side spell checker (like the Google bar - or just use the google bar)...
My Host (landofnet), has tried really hard to get aspell not jsut for me but for any client, adn failed miserably - time to change, or is this just a voice in the wilderness?
thoughtful
En respuesta a David Brighton

de W Page -
Hi David!

It is possible to install "Aspell" on 1and1 via SSH.  The "unofficial" help site that someone was running for 1and1 users appears to be inaccessable for a while now.  I do not know why.  This use to be the place to get info [Instructions] as to how to do different things with 1and1. 

I am trying to find my notes from this site and post them at Moodle.  Might take a little while though but I will definately look for them.

WP1
En respuesta a W Page

de David Brighton -
Thanks guys. Yes I agree with aspell being a bit inaccessible. Google toolbar is an absolute no-no for our onsite users as it interferes with our patient information system so I will be looking for a new job if I advocate that! I have a testbed site on UKHost4U and they have aspell installed and it will suit our users fine, anything is better than nothing. 1&1 are being annoying with their level of support at the moment, it seems to have dropped off recently. WP1, anything you come up with would be welcome!